Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

print quality tips?

Posted by auser 
print quality tips?
December 30, 2013 11:54AM
i did not print a lot yet. only a few stars / snowflakes plus the obligatory ormaxis.g and snowman.g
i would really appreciate it if people could give me some hints tips how to improve print qulity (furhter). i'm especially wondering about the shift in "y-direction" obvious in the x-arm of ormaxis...
thanks a lot in advance for your tips & hints!
Attachments:
open | download - xshift.jpg (237.7 KB)
open | download - rowstar.jpg (226.4 KB)
open | download - snowman_.jpg (593.6 KB)
Re: print quality tips?
December 30, 2013 12:06PM
How easily does your filament come off the spool and feed into the extruder? If there's any jerkiness it can deflect the nozzle in the Y-direction and create minor Y errors. If you have bigger errors have a good look at the Y-axis stepper motor drive and make sure it's not missing any steps.

RS Components Reprap Ormerod No. 481
Re: print quality tips?
December 30, 2013 02:40PM
I see that you have a few threads and blobs on the snowflake. I had these problems on one of my test pieces, see this thread. The test piece was "hollow dodecahedron" from thingyverse, scaled down to half size. In the end I got better results after making the following changes to the slic3r settings:

Filament: decrease temperature on 2nd and subsequent layers to 200C.

Extruder 1: increase retraction to 4mm or 5mm. I'm currently experimenting with checking "wipe during retraction".

Skirt: increase loops to 2 and distance from piece to 15mm (to make sure the filament starts flowing properly, and make it less likely that unattached bits will get in the way)

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login