Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blown bed heater switch circuit - would like to fix it?

Posted by kwikius 
Blown bed heater switch circuit - would like to fix it?
December 30, 2013 08:40AM
Hi ( Have emailed support re this but appreciate there is probably quite a stack in front and would like to get on since I'm oh so nearly there now!)

Here is the nub

Sorry to have to report a faulty Duet Board. My RS Ormerod machine number is 318.

Got to "now connect ATX power supply unit" in the Commissioning section. On switching on and checking the bed temperature at start up it was warm. I also saw that D6, the Bed Heater Mosfet LED, was lit. On investigation it looks like resistor R18 on the Duet Board is short circuit ( should be 1k) and there appears to be a bubble in TR1 ( R18 is connected from TR1 drain to +5v) so TR1 has obviously blown.

Looking in the spares box I have some BSS138 transistors which I reckon would work ok in place of BSH105 in this application and having a much higher drain source resistance cant be a bad thing to slow the turn off of TR2.

OK to go ahead with this so I can move on?

regards
Andy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2013 08:43AM by kwikius.

Ormerod #318
www.zoomworks.org - Free and Open Source Stuff smiling smiley
Re: Blown bed heater switch circuit - would like to fix it?
December 30, 2013 09:41AM
Hi Andy

How odd for the driver to blow rather than the power device. I am thinking I don't want the bed supply sharing the common ground with the electronics. There is an output connector to use an external Mosfet. Tr1 is still required so that doesn't help you.

Rory
December 30, 2013 11:31AM
Whatever I do I have to remove R18, since it is shortcircuit so shorts the gate of TR2 to 5V keeping it on permanently. smiling smiley I would guess its just a solder bridge. Looks a bit messy.. see pic. Also see hole in TR1 at bottom! I thought I smelt something when I switched on for the first time!

Either I get on with it or wait for a replacement sad smiley

regards
Andy

Ormerod #318
December 30, 2013 12:25PM
Andy

Happy for you to have a go at fixing it. We will still replace it under warranty, so long as you haven't smashed it to pieces with a hammer! (Or done anything else too irreparable...)

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
December 30, 2013 12:40PM
droftarts
Andy

Happy for you to have a go at fixing it. We will still replace it under warranty, so long as you haven't smashed it to pieces with a hammer! (Or done anything else too irreparable...)

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

Hooray DiddleeAY spinning smiley sticking its tongue out ...

Now... where's that hammer? winking smiley

regards
Andy

Ormerod #318
December 30, 2013 04:09PM
Success smiling smiley
Replaced TR1 with a BSS138 mosfet, which may even have a beneficial effect on switching. Just used desolder braid on R18

Got through the bed heater tests, xyz tests, etc. Looking good. Now for a break, before ( hopefully) the real fun begins!

Thanks for all the help so far!

regards
Andy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2013 04:11PM by kwikius.

Ormerod #318
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login