Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1730 Full Metal Hotend now LIVE on Kickstarter

Posted by ReprapUniverse 
1730 Full Metal Hotend now LIVE on Kickstarter
January 31, 2016 10:12AM
We are extremely excited to announce: the 1730 Full Metal Hotend is now LIVE on Kickstarter!

ReprapUniverse (3D-Printer Manufacturer) and Kai Parthy (Filament Developer) have solved one of the biggest mysteries in fused deposition modeling (FDM) 3D-printing.

While purchasing a 3D-Printer (or Hotend) a fundamental choice has to be made – which filament diameter do I want to print? 1.75 mm or 3 mm. From today this is a thing of the past. We are thrilled to introduce the new 1730 Full Metal Hotend, capable of printing both filament diameters. A change from 1.75 mm to 3 mm is generally achieved in less than 5 minutes and requires only switching the Nozzle. The Kickstarter campaign will be LIVE until the 25th of February 2016. If succesful, early Backers of the 1730 Hotend will be delivered by the end of March 2016.

Key Features

1. Printing 1.75 and 3 mm Filament: The 1730 Full Metal Hotend enables switching Nozzles between 1.75 mm and 3 mm in less than 5 minutes*. Experience total 3D-Printing freedom and enjoy the best of both worlds.

2. Modular Full Metal Hotend: 1730’s innovative modular setup makes it a direct driven and bowden Hotend all in one. Nozzles are easily and quickly changed. A Hotend designed to be universal.

3. High Performance Printing: The 1730 Full Metal Hotend is optimized for printing PLA, ABS, PU, PC and exotic filaments. Extensive research and prototyping have resulted in a unique thermal handling which provides an unparalleled 3D-printing experience.

Further Features

4. Optimized thermal barrier. Water cooling is not necessary.
5. Very short heating zone inside the extra-long nozzle.
6. The 1730 Full Metal Hotend is physically leakage proof and not using any PEEK or PTFE tubing.
7. Reduced feeding friction which is optimal for soft and brittle materials (e.g. PU).
8. Multiple Nozzle Diameters available for 1.75 mm and 3 mm filament.
9. Effective use of energy. Short heating-up time.
10. 500 °C tested expert module will be available in future as add-on.
11. With the 1730 Full Metal Hotend we have achieved shorter retract values. This greatly improves overal printing speed.
12. The 1730 Full Metal Hotend comes fully assembled. Just mount it and start printing.
13. Mounts / adapters will be available from the start for a variety of 3D-Printer Models: Reprap 3D-Printers with Greg’s Wade Extruder, Delta 3D-Printers, GRRF (German Reprap) and 3D-Printers which have already mounted a J-Head or E3D Hotend. More mounts / adapters for other 3D-Printers will be available in the future.

More information: www.17hotend.com
Kickstarter campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/reprapuniverse/1730-full-metal-hotend-supercharge-your-3d-printer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2016 10:15AM by ReprapUniverse.
Re: 1730 Full Metal Hotend now LIVE on Kickstarter
January 31, 2016 10:40AM
Looks nice, apart from the price. I can buy two genuine E3Dv6 hot end kits for about the same amount.

I like the fact that you provide more than one mounting option, because I don't much like the round groove mount that most hot ends have.

If I am using a Bowden extruder, how do I secure the Bowden tube to your hot end, given that I will have two different diameters of Bowden tube depending on the filament?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2016 10:40AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 31, 2016 12:14PM
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback!

The 1730 Full Metal Hotend works notably different to other Hotends. We have worked closely together with well-known filament developer Kai Parthy (know from inventing Laywood, Laybrick, etc). His extensive experience in creating filament and our shared unhappiness with current Hotend technology made us design a new hotend from scratch which incorporates all our lessons learned. Besides the feature of switching from 1.75 mm to 3 mm in a few easy steps we have achieved many improvements on the thermal functionality of the Hotend. The 1730 Full Metal Hotend is not only leakage proof, we have also greatly reduced feeding friction (the so-called 'PLA" & exotic filament problem). Just to list a few of the problems All Metal Hotends are currently facing.

The mounting systems that come with the 1730 Full Metal Hotend will have a threaded side which can mount the standard 1/8" BSPT 1.75 mm or 3 mm couplers (same as E3D is using). You can secure the PTFE tube to this coupler. When you change filament - simply change the PTFE diameter and switch the coupler.

The 1730 Full Metal Hotend is actually quite a bit cheaper than 2x E3D v6. If you go for the super early bird opportunity on Kickstarter (still some left) you save €64 compared to 2 assembled E3D V6 Hotends. You even get an extra mount on top.

Content of 1730 Full Metal Hotend package
- Assembled
- 2x Filament Nozzles
- 2 Mouting Systems

1730 super early bird package: €129 (including vat & shipping)
1730 early bird package: €139 (including vat & shipping)
1730 regular kickstarter package: €149 (including vat & shipping)

E3D v6 (based on latest prices):
2x Assembled Hotend = €184,52 (€92,26 each - including vat & excluding shipping)
Tracked Shipping +- €9
Total: €193
February 06, 2016 10:25AM
Hi,

I've pledged your project. Will you publish the carriage for the Prusa i3 to hold this Hotend?
February 10, 2016 12:51PM
Thank you for your pledge!

The 1730 FMH can be mounted to the Greg's Wade Extruder Block v5 of the Prusa i3. We have all Prusa i3 files available as STL on our website: http://reprapuniverse.com/files/my_prusa_i3.zip
February 26, 2016 05:00AM
We did it! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Thanks to all other backers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2016 05:00AM by GrillSgt.
April 17, 2016 08:47AM
The 1730 seems to closely follow the design of the barrel/nozzle ("The Pipe") of the Organ_Pipe_Hotend, as detailed beautifully by Theodlief on the reprap wiki page here : [reprap.org]

A number of hotends on the market come with a one piece barrel/nozzle, making for rapid and easy changeout. Offerings are available from distechautomation.com with the Prometheus hotend, and micron3dp.com with their "all-metal" hotend making use of detachable filament guide and nozzle modules (DFGNM). Possibly there are others ?

There is plenty of information out in the public domain describing how to attempt to make an all metal hotend that will reduce or prevent the chance for the famous PLA barrel jam. And that information has been contributed by personalities embracing the openness that is part of the reprap community.

I am struggling to see what exactly is patentable with the 1730 design.

Would love to hear more from GrillSgt, ReprapUniverse or other representatives of Achatz Industries.
May 06, 2016 12:49PM
Our 1730 Full Metal Hotend patent application is much more sophisticated than a mere exchangeable nozzle unit, which exists for other Hotend designs and might share some similarities with our design. The patent application is mainly build up on its specific modular functionality as well as specific thermal handling.

Our patent application is not yet being published and hence, we will not provide full details in a forum upon anonymous request. We (Kai Parthy of CC-Products, Franz Achatz and Richard Achatz of Achatz Industries) are very willing discussing things 1-1 with you "reprapabc" or "theodlife" as a juridical entity / person.
May 09, 2016 08:08AM
Thank you for your reply. It is quite understandable that you are unable to go into details of your, not-as-yet-accepted, patent on a public forum. But I still maintain that the core element of your hotend, the "Filament Nozzle Unit" is nothing more than a clone of the "The Pipe" from the open source "Organ Pipe Hotend".

And anyone interested in constructing hotends, upon viewing the "Organ Pipe Hotend" page, would make the non-inventive conclusion that a similar "nozzle/pipe" combination could be constructed with acceptable thermal properties to run with smaller diameter filament - hence having a hotend with rapid and easy changeability between nozzle and filament sizes. Nothing really inventive or patentable there.
May 14, 2016 02:21AM
What is the right thermistor setting in the configuration of the firmware?
May 17, 2016 12:51PM
Hi reprapabc,

on patent applications decides sometime Patent Office.

With all due respect - You do not, neither do we. Whatever opinion we have.

We had invited you personally to share more about the hidden 1730hotend-details.
You've rejected.

best
Kai Parthy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login