Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3D print/assembly machine and 'Fair Source' just launched on Kickstarter smiling smiley

Posted by Senake 
3D print/assembly machine and 'Fair Source' just launched on Kickstarter smiling smiley
April 07, 2015 06:08PM
Hi All,

We have just launched our next generation 3D printing and assembly machine on Kickstarter - see [www.kickstarter.com].

The team and I do very much believe in open source, but are very aware of it's flaws in getting a fair return for the efforts of value creators - see my discussion here - [forums.reprap.org]. For this reason, in addition to the printer, as part of the campaign, we have pitched 'Fair Source'. This uses a system that we have developed to share out tasks and rewards - before they are carried out. We have also offered to donate a percentage of our proceeds to the Open Hardware movement if the campaign is successful.

Do please let us know what you think of the printer and Fair Source. If you do like what you see, then do please spread the word and/or back the campaign.

Many thanks

Senake

Designer of the Industrial Revolution III - a next generation printer capable of producing sophisticated, fully assembled and working products
LIVE KICKSTARTER campaign at [www.kickstarter.com]

Other printers - a Rostock Max and Foldarap - built from kits.
Re: 3D print/assembly machine and 'Fair Source' just launched on Kickstarter smiling smiley
April 07, 2015 07:57PM
Advertising for "Senake oil" campaign on Kickstarter... Please do not post in this forum. moody smiley
Re: 3D print/assembly machine and 'Fair Source' just launched on Kickstarter smiling smiley
April 07, 2015 08:32PM
Hi Andrew,

We're not injection moulding on purpose to allow our machine to evolve - so our margins aren't very high. The machine is currently just PLA focused, because that's what doesn't warp so much on big prints.

Our Fair Source approach is an extension of the bounties scheme that doesn't seem to have taken off in a big way. Most of the open source people that I have spoken too say that they can only do what they do by working in a day job and the shift on 3D printers launching seems to be increaseingly closed source - which means everyone will be holding a piece of the jigsaw with no one able to make the machine that enables local/home manufacturing to go mainstream. We're trying to offer a solution that encourages collaboration.

All that we're trying to do is inject some momentum back into the home (consumer = producer) 3D printer shift - without going 100% closed source - , so I'm not totally sure what you mean by "Senake Oil". Is there any chance that you could explain in case we have missed something?

Thanks

Senake
April 08, 2015 03:58AM
Moved to crowdfunding announcement forum where it belongs.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
April 14, 2015 06:27PM
Senake
Most of the open source people that I have spoken too say that they can only do what they do by working in a day job and the shift on 3D printers launching seems to be increasingly closed source -

most do closed source because they want to make money of a open source idea i really hate kickstarter and crowd sourcing for 3d printers because if you really wanted one anyone could build a cheap 3d prinetr out of junk if they was given the right knowledge and where too look

local/home manufacturing to go mainstream will take more than just a 3d printer pick and place machine to get there

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login