Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Modular MM1 RepRap needs your Help!

Posted by luigipacheco 
New Modular MM1 RepRap needs your Help!
October 14, 2014 11:57AM
Hey Guys we have developed a new 3D printer, we aimed to make it modular in a way that you can change the extruder heads (and other components) really easy.

This 3D printer is Open Source and we will release the source files on reprap.org

right now we have a pledge that lets you Upgrade your current reprap to our new system for only $399 USD we have US and Mexico Free shipping and we are working on making international shipping very affordable.

we will need your help for two things

-Fond our Kickstarter campaign
-Help us develop this new 3d printer to exeed expectations

So far we have four modules ready
-Paste extrusion
-Double Extrusion
-Auto-Leveling Bedsase745
-High Temp Extrusion

we are developing more modules like
-Dremell addon
-Wifi
-Pick n Place

The base system will be Open Souce, and each module will be licenced by each outhor as they see fit, on some modules we want to experiment with a new Licence that keeps the source open to Members, but also gives fair retribuition to developers.
if the experiment fails our fall back position is to make it Open Source too!

ill attach a couple pictures smiling smiley
one of they is lol Oct printed with Play Doh

you can find our proyect here
[www.kickstarter.com]
Attachments:
open | download - DOC290114.pdf (31.9 KB)
open | download - baa8a84f39e62a2af9a9df2564f35f01_large.jpg (110.9 KB)
Re: New Modular MM1 RepRap needs your Help!
October 22, 2014 09:19AM
I've seen your update about the upgrade kit, and it just stroke me that it is somewhat lame to sell printed parts to people who already have a 3D printer...

Why not make an upgrade kit version for people who own a 3d printer and are willing to print their own parts before dismantling it ? Shouldn't be a problem to provide them with design files are you are willing to go open-source.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
October 22, 2014 10:14AM
DeuxVis
Shouldn't be a problem to provide them with design files are you are willing to go open-source.
I'm not entirely convinced that they are willing to go open source. Their campaign says open source, but then they also talk about the "M-License". I can't find the actual license (if it actually exists in a legal form), but from this post it sounds like it's "open source", but only if you pay "retribution" back to the original creator. I'm presuming the retribution is just a lost-in-translation wording and that we aren't really suppose to inflict punishment as an act of vengeance, but rather more like a royalty or licensing fee where what you contribute to the community determines the value of your "retribution". It's all very vague, and requiring any type of ongoing redistribution payment, either monetary or non-monetary, violates the first criteria of being open source.
October 22, 2014 10:53AM
Hello Deux,
Youre right, we are working to upload the Source Files (OpenJScad), .Blend and STL's this week, The "Base" platform will be Open Surce we will be releasing it with a current Open Source Licence.
cdru,
Youre right about retribution, we mean a way to collaborate and get something back for your effort. The modules (but the single extruder, wich is part of the base platform and the base for other people to develop their own modules) will be M-licenced, and yes it is very vague because we need help developing this concept, if it does't work you our fallback position is Open Source smiling smiley. Still we see M-Licence as an Hybrid between Open Source and Closed Source and a platform to develop commercial projects that are not centralized.

Here's is a forum you can ask any questions about M-Licence as my friend Juan Carlos is the main author of this concept.
[groups.google.com]

please let me know if you have any questions i know this whole thing is a little confusing but we are working hard to put it together.
October 22, 2014 11:28AM
To clarify this further.
For the MM1 printer like Luigi said our base platform including the single extruder module will be soon (hopefully this week) made OpenSource. We already made the decision to OpenSource it, but have not yet tidied the documents to upload them. We may use github to keep track of the changes. Remember this printer is on presale, it is still in alfa quality, although it already performs quite nice, we are still working on the quick interchangeable heads for example. By the way we just made this decision to go OpenSource on the base system about a week ago. We were originally going to license everything using our experimental M-License, thus the confusion.
The modules like the interchangeable printing heads can be licensed as each author see fit. For the modules designed by us we want to experiment with a concept we named M-License which is not Open Source but Shared Source among members of each project. Except for the standard single printing head which will be OpenSource.
This is similar to buying a closed source printing head or some other part for a reprap machine, that does not mean that the printer goes closed source.
October 22, 2014 03:41PM
I finally managed to upload the STLs for the printed parts and DXFs for the acrylic cuts.
[github.com]
Sorry for the delay and the confusion this delay made.
We are working on uploading some pictures of the frame and the assembled printer as a stop gap while we make a build manual.
Remember this project is still in an Alpha state but already functional. See videos on our Kickstarter campaign: Kickstarter/MakerMex

Note that we are using a very conservative OpenSource License. CC BY-NC-SA 4.0
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login