Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mirage Open Source Technologies an online tool for all makers

Posted by Gustio 
Mirage Open Source Technologies an online tool for all makers
December 14, 2013 07:46AM
Hello, my name is Giulio and I recently started an indiegogo campaign for a project I have in mind.

The idea is to create an online database in which users will have the possibility to upload\download 3D models and gcodes. Everything on the database will be rated with several criteria, so for instance you will know if the gcode you are downloading is more oriented at a fast or durable print. This will make the 3d printing world at your fingertips, even if you have little or no experience at all.

On top of that this website will act as an e-commerce portal, where people that do not have a 3d printer will be able to buy anything they can find in our database.
After purchasing it we will find the nearest user who can print it and ship it. Everyone involved in the process of creation of that object will get a share of the money paid by the customer.

You can find all the details here.

I'd love to hear you feedback on this project, and if you like it don't forget to follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
Re: Mirage Open Source Technologies an online tool for all makers
December 20, 2013 03:56PM
Hi Gustio, welcome smiling smiley

This is an interesting proposal and there are many people here who are interested in this sort of thing. (Unfortunately because of new rules this post is buried down in this subforum so it may not get a lot of attention.) Here are my questions for you:

1. Do you see any overlap between your proposed network and the Thing Tracker Network?

2. Do you think your system might use the Thing Tracker Network Protocol?

There are many existing services that already provide much of what you are proposing. For example, grain3d provides gcode, 3D pinpoint allows people with 3D printers to register and print parts to sell to others in the network, and of course there are dozens and dozens and dozens of online 3D model databases...

3. What will set Mirage apart from this already crowded field?

4. How will Mirage attract enough users to attain "critical mass"? There are many good websites/services out there, but they are going nowhere because not enough people use them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login