Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Spammer on the wiki

Posted by PRZ 
PRZ
Spammer on the wiki
January 20, 2016 11:43AM
URGENT!
There is a spammer on the wiki, presently in operation , named adamaris/rlee, who is moving pages, mainly national presentation pages as they are not protected as the english page.
I reverted on the french page but I think due to the extent of spam, an automatic revert shall be done.
On the french page he made that in two steps:
- Moving the page to another page title, with title containing spam
- Changing the content

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2016 11:49AM by PRZ.
Re: Spammer on the wiki
January 21, 2016 01:56AM
also user Anujwebb

seems like they have found a way to automate adding crap pages...

I've Undone these spam edits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2016 02:57AM by Dust.
January 29, 2016 06:38AM
And they are at it again...

[reprap.org]
[reprap.org]
[reprap.org]::::::::

Please block any new page names with the following keywords 1_866_570_8594 or 1-866-570-8594 or 8665708594 or QuickBooks or Payroll etc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2016 06:40AM by Dust.
February 02, 2016 11:09AM
New wiki spammer: ‎Genter1010

[Edit:

He posted on our wiki Reprap.org with variations of this: "AVG Customer Support Phone Number 1-800-390-8650"

I don't know why I bothered digging into this person, but I was curious so I did...

A google search shows he claims his 800 number is the customer support or tech support number for about a dozen companies, including anti-virus companies like AVG and Norton, Toshiba.

He has a domain: 1-800-390-8650-installnortonsecurity.com
Registrant Name: shakir hussain
Registrant Street: A-182 sajjan nagar A
Registrant City: udaipur
Registrant State/Province: Rajasthan
Registrant Postal Code: 313001
Registrant Country: IN
Registrant Phone: +91.9251056070
Registrant Email: shakirkh@gmail.com

So since I was really wasting my time anyway I filed a report at FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center
And I flagged his youtube video.
And I notified his domain registrar.
And I flagged his 800 number on a phone number fraud page.

OK now... back to work...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2016 12:25PM by Paul Wanamaker.
February 02, 2016 10:36PM
Well done!
Spammer on the wiki Gun1010
February 03, 2016 12:31PM
‎Gun1010 is spamming the Wiki. I wonder how many other new Wiki users also have 1010 in their name.

I'm volunteering to help clean these up.

This must be an administration nightmare - Wikis are meant for users that follow the rules, but that's not what we're getting.

So I'm thinking of ways to combat this without even more admin time, programatically.
How about this:
1- Only allow members to register in Wiki with the same username and password used in the forum (is this already the case?).
2- Only allow members to register there if they have been a forum member for a period like 6 months.
3- Only allow members to register if they have made x number of posts (do not disclose the number)
4- Only allow them to register if they have no black-marks (like x number of deleted forum posts).
This may not be doable because of programming issues/resources, perhaps on the new server...

Are IP addresses logged?
Can you block IP subnets?

Other ways I'm thinking of are not easy on the admins.
The following implementation is manual, and so requires a small number of Wiki registrations per day.
- WIKI registrations would be pending until approved by admins.
- New Wiki member would still need the same credentials as on the forum (is this already the case?)
- Validate users by manually checking 2-4 above.

My printer: Raptosaur - Large Format Delta - [www.paulwanamaker.wordpress.com]
Can you answer questions about Calibration, Printing issues, Mechanics? Write it up and improve the Wiki!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login