Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Libre3D on RepRap Forum

Posted by libre3d 
Libre3D on RepRap Forum
March 17, 2015 01:28PM
Afternoon RepRap Admins,

We are beginning to update that Adrian Bowyer has joined Libre3D as a board member. He enjoys Libre3D's enthusiasm to help keep 3D printing Open and support RepRap. (Libre3D is a resource for Open Source 3D models plus a showcase arena for Open Source/RepRap businesses.)

A couple questions below might better support Libre3D and the RepRap project spread if desired?

Possible Support Ideas:

(1) A 1-day note could be placed on the header of the forum about Adrian Bowyer's joining Libre3D?

or

(2) A sub-forum category for Libre3D could exist for feedback on the site. The Slic3r sub-category is an example.

or

(3) We all can simply support Libre3D with models which will grow and improve the resource. Also when interesting ideas come in Libre3D can update media outlets of the models which is fun and educational for all.

Libre3D desires to be a world class, Open Source 3D printing resource. By supporting Libre3D, the resource will grow and bring fresh ideas that Open Source and RepRap users can improve with.

Just ideas smiling smiley

Andrew
www.Libre3D.com
Re: Libre3D on RepRap Forum
March 18, 2015 04:15AM
I'm looking at the website now,

can you outline what you intend to do with entries which don't support the opensource cause by not releasing sources in any capacity, eg: [libre3d.com] and what is the intended action in dealing with clear and obvious counterfeits: eg : [libre3d.com]

also is there any planned policy to deal with the never ending stream of "fund my life" kickstarter campaigns using libre3d as a advertising platform with not actual intention of providing sources eg : [libre3d.com]

as Admins a few of us have been actively trying to keep this kind of behavior out of reprap.org and maintaining it as an information and education resource, i think before we consider making a new section of the forum we need more information on what is planned for to deal with any of the counterfeit sellers that will attempt to advertise on libre3d

libre3d
Afternoon RepRap Admins,

We are beginning to update that Adrian Bowyer has joined Libre3D as a board member. He enjoys Libre3D's enthusiasm to help keep 3D printing Open and support RepRap. (Libre3D is a resource for Open Source 3D models plus a showcase arena for Open Source/RepRap businesses.)

A couple questions below might better support Libre3D and the RepRap project spread if desired?

Possible Support Ideas:

(1) A 1-day note could be placed on the header of the forum about Adrian Bowyer's joining Libre3D?

or

(2) A sub-forum category for Libre3D could exist for feedback on the site. The Slic3r sub-category is an example.

or

(3) We all can simply support Libre3D with models which will grow and improve the resource. Also when interesting ideas come in Libre3D can update media outlets of the models which is fun and educational for all.

Libre3D desires to be a world class, Open Source 3D printing resource. By supporting Libre3D, the resource will grow and bring fresh ideas that Open Source and RepRap users can improve with.

Just ideas smiling smiley

Andrew
www.Libre3D.com

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

March 18, 2015 06:26AM
I am not an admin but I fully subscribe to everything thejollygrimreaper wrote above. There are too many examples of not Open Source compliant designs floating around the net, and also of proprietary designs that are clearly derived or outright copies of GPL ones. RepRap.org is thankfully managing until now to stay free of this, and I would rather it stay like that for as long as possible. thumbs up
March 18, 2015 10:58AM
@thejollygrimreaper

I agree with your analysis on those posts and others like it. (2 posts were from an Indian company "MakeMendel").

As we push forward we could have new policies:

(1) Open Source posts that only link to products will be removed if no source files are uploaded 1 week from the post start. (We can easily maintain this at the present time.)

(2) Community reporting on counterfeits will be "a button click" as we have built a "report issue button" function.

(3) Kickstarter/Indiegogo posts can be eliminated, confined to one area, etc.

In a nutshell, we're interested in community feedback and can allow 1 to 10 admins who have full rights to monitor Libre3D at their leisure. (The monitor function allows an admin to easily delete a post or send a comment to the author to update the post before removal.)

Thanks for the feedback. The resource is getting more valuable each day and ideas like these are great!
March 30, 2015 04:48AM
libre3d
@thejollygrimreaper

I agree with your analysis on those posts and others like it. (2 posts were from an Indian company "MakeMendel").

As we push forward we could have new policies:

(1) Open Source posts that only link to products will be removed if no source files are uploaded 1 week from the post start. (We can easily maintain this at the present time.)

(2) Community reporting on counterfeits will be "a button click" as we have built a "report issue button" function.

(3) Kickstarter/Indiegogo posts can be eliminated, confined to one area, etc.

In a nutshell, we're interested in community feedback and can allow 1 to 10 admins who have full rights to monitor Libre3D at their leisure. (The monitor function allows an admin to easily delete a post or send a comment to the author to update the post before removal.)

Thanks for the feedback. The resource is getting more valuable each day and ideas like these are great!

ok, fair enough, if there aren't any objections i'll create the section

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

March 30, 2015 12:00PM
I object.

The only thing that seems to make Libre3D any different from the dozens of other sites listed on the wiki here or discussed on the forum here is the fact that somehow Libre3D convinced Adrian Bowyer to allow his name to be associated with them.

Perhaps I am wrong about this (and if I am wrong I hope someone will correct me!) but it looks like Libre3D is a privately held for-profit company, and their insistence on name-dropping Dr. Bowyer at every opportunity is nothing more than a marketing ploy.

If Dr. Bowyer really thinks Libre3D is special, perhaps he could take the time to post a message about it himself. His endorsement would be worth a thousand times more than yet another section on the forum.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login