Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Big System Update

Posted by Traumflug 
Big System Update
April 24, 2014 05:19AM
Folks,

currently I'm running a big system update, 298 of 668 packages need a refresh. Apparently this wasn't done for years.

Now, from a Debian system I'm used to have such tasks done in minutes. Gentoo ran for 13 hours yesterday, upgrading just 89 of these 298. It shot in its own foot by breaking the C compiler. After recovering from that manually I ran into Perl issues. Trying to resolve these brings up yet another roadblock. I'm finding bug reports which tell users such behaviour ist pretty much expected: [bugs.gentoo.org] Like "somewhere in this 20'000 line log it's written you should run this or that _before_ attempting this other task, and you didn't do this, so it's your fault".

Long story short: expect slower page loads and perhaps a breakage or another. I'm monitoring forum and wiki constantly, so I can work on a fix immediately.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

A2
Re: Big System Update
April 24, 2014 11:20AM
Tks for working on this, and the explanation thumbs up
April 25, 2014 07:45PM
Update on this one. After three full days, these three commands don't attempt to do anything anymore, which means (AFAIK), the system is up to date:
  emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse world --ask
  emerge --depclean --ask
  revdep-rebuild -- --ask
BTW., updating Gentoo is an "interesting" experience, it's quite a bit more than just watching. Most troublesome point is that portage doesn't find a working order of updates on its own, so you have to update one by one manually in case the full update gets stuck. Also, the compiler got broken in between and other unexpected issues appeared, so it's sometimes rovering back and forth until you're on track again.

Tomorrow I expect to read all news, follow all the warnings I picked up along the process, update all configuration files, and then I hope to be brave enough to do a reboot.

Let's cross fingers this one hour mailing lists outage was the only broken service :-)

April 28, 2014 11:19AM
So how did things go? smiling smiley Was there a reboot?
April 29, 2014 07:01AM
No reboot so far. The four most tricky configuration files still waiting to be merged.

May 02, 2014 01:56PM
Reboot is done. If there's anything left not working which used to work a month ago, please report.

May 04, 2014 11:35PM
Thanks Traumflug! As far as I can tell, everything is working OK. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login