Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Posted by A2 
A2
March 01, 2014 09:03PM
Maybe not a problem if you have cookies enabled, but if you don't enable cookies this is what I encountered.

I conducted a search, clicked on the link of interest, it was required to re-log in in order to post.
After I logged in, I was sent to the top of the forum page, loosing the link.
I had to manually scroll through many pages to find the link of interest.

It would be nice if the log in persisted without using cookies.
Re: Log in not persisting, cookies are disabled
March 04, 2014 02:00PM
How do you propose that a log in persist without using cookies? Every site that I know of that has a persistent log in does so using cookies.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
A2
March 04, 2014 10:27PM
Tks for the feed back, I'm a noob on how web pages work.
March 05, 2014 11:58AM
No problem. Cookies are the most common way for a website to recognize that you are a returning visitor and remembering your preferences (such as login details). There are other methods, such as browser fingerprinting and IP address tracking, but those methods aren't always 100% accurate (especially IP tracking, where many computers can share the same apparent IP address, and IP addresses can change), and shouldn't be used for keeping persistent logins and other details.

For a low-risk site like these forums, using cookies for storing session data isn't a big deal. For higher-risk sites, like bank sites, cookies should not be used to store session data. (Most, if not all, banking sites don't use cookies for this.)

Some further reading on persistent login cookies and the security risks involved:
[www.allaboutcookies.org]
[jeremycook.ca]

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login