Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

forums upgraded to Phorum 5.2.19

Posted by bill2or3 
forums upgraded to Phorum 5.2.19
July 19, 2013 11:55AM
The forum software has been updated from version 5.2.11 to the latest version, 5.2.19.

cheers,
Bill
Re: forums upgraded to Phorum 5.2.19
July 20, 2013 02:18AM
Great to hear bill2or3.

Is there any chance that we could get some of the mods available for Phorum installed (after careful review of course) that would make things easier for people?
July 25, 2013 08:57AM
Don't know if it is related, but I get a lot of those errors in topics trying to display inline images.

Image error
convert: unable to open image `--': Permission denied @ error/blob.c/OpenBlob/2642.
open image URL

Sample topic : [forums.reprap.org]

Apart from that glitch, the speed improvement is really good, nice job !

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
VDX
July 25, 2013 04:04PM
... this weird behaviour seems to be an image embedding module, I've activated for testing ... deactivated it again, so this should be solved ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
July 26, 2013 04:31AM
Thanks VDX.

Another possibly forum upgrade related glitch I just discovered : when I send a reply to a PM it doesn't appear in my PM outbox. Anything changed with that ? Or maybe I should clean it a bit ?

Edit : forget it, my bad, the "Keep A Copy In My Sent Items" tickbox was not set, maybe its default value changed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2013 04:53AM by DeuxVis.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
VDX
July 30, 2013 03:39PM
Hi Donovan,

when you remove a user account, then his posts aren't deleted, they only change the author to "Anonymous User"!

So my proceding is - click on the user, "show all posts", open (in new tabs) and delete the displayed posts, and only last step is to delete the account eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

VDX
July 30, 2013 03:57PM
... hmmm, I'm receiving all the reports in my mail account confused smiley

Viktor
--------

VDX
July 30, 2013 04:49PM
... the message in the upper right only indicates, that there were 'unapproved' threads or users.

I don't know, if flagged spams can be marked ... could be an option or module on server level, so better mention this there ...

Viktor
--------

Anonymous User
August 09, 2013 05:01PM
I just re-registered, and my posts are accepted without being sandboxed for approval. Something is broken still.
Anonymous User
August 09, 2013 06:03PM
I can't find the proper settings to apply so that new member's posts are moderated for the first few...

Any pointers?
VDX
August 09, 2013 06:36PM
... don't think, this option is included in the forums software ... or can't find it too winking smiley

Viktor
--------

August 11, 2013 12:40PM
Have you guys checked out the module called Spam Hurdles?

There is also a module that checks against a database to prevent known spammers [www.phorum.org]

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Anonymous User
August 14, 2013 07:48PM
I just approved a post in the reprappers subforum, and afterwards in the General forum, there were 1000 new messages in the General forum when I returned.

What the hell is wrong with this place? Why am I not not on the admin list yet? How the hell do I get any competent replies to administration issues without waiting for two weeks? Does anyone give a happy crap?

I'm just about done, again. You folks seem to be happy with a broken forum: So be it.

Edited to remove link to my site. Goodbye.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2013 05:43PM by calcetin.
August 15, 2013 01:42AM
Err, was there supposed to be something else in that post from you? It looks like either you forgot to quote something, were adding a pic which failed, or you forgot to quote the later section to show that it was from another post. So, we have no idea what you're talking about.
August 15, 2013 05:08AM

You folks seem to be happy with a broken forum

Sad to say, he's right with this one. I asked for server access no less than four times now, laid out a detailed plan on how to upgrade the wiki and the result is, well, it was ignored. No idea what's so difficult about putting my public key into the known_hosts file. There are backups, so in case I'd ever mess up, it's a matter of a few minutes to get the old stuff back. With all the work I have to put into spam deletion I could have upgraded and fortified the wiki (and the forum) many times already. And I get reminded of the lack of spam countermeasures every day.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Anonymous User
August 15, 2013 09:01AM
Cefiar, I'm used to phpBB3's style of embedding images, and even though this place allows the bbCode, the image doesn't appear in the post. Another little issue...
August 15, 2013 09:03AM
Now that I can see the attachment (it wasn't showing for me before) then yeah, I can definitely agree.

I think the problem is, the people who are doing stuff either don't want to release control, or are so inherently uncontactable that it makes it hard to get their approval to add someone new or get something done.

PS: I'm happy to help out where I can, whether that's just as a forum mod (eg: happy to take care of all the Australian forums) or otherwise.
Anonymous User
August 15, 2013 09:46AM
If I felt more comfortable about adding you as moderator, I would. Since there is no contact from anyone but Viktor, I will defer to his judgment.

In the meantime:

asmahan3 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Its hard to believe the potential of our Grow
> Taller Medication stock - THE AYURVEDIC UREA but
> trust me, its truly a revolution in height
> increasing and growth. For all of the customers
> that we have supplied to, we have received 100%
> positive feedback from them. There's not even a
> single case for which it has not worked to any
> customer whom we supplied our stock to. We have it
> now in stock and ranging from 4, 6 and 8 inch
> packages. We have the most affordable selling
> prices worldwide, and we trade with
> confidentiality and assure you of 100% safe
> delivery worldwide.
> For orders & inquiries, contact us at:
> asmahan3@live.com
>
> Apart from it, we also offer varieties of supreme
> RCs currently in the market for agricultural,
> industrial and pharmaceutical uses. We have
>
> Am-2201, MDMA, Bk-Mdma, MDPV , Ketamine
> Mephedrone 4MMC, 4-MEC, Amphetamines
> Hygrogel Butt Injections, Heroin
> All JWH Series, URB-597, Coce, Lsd
> 5-MeO-Dmt, DMT, A-PvP, 5FPB-22
> 2C-E - 2C-I - 2C-P - 2C-T - 2C-D - Heroin
> Others are supplied on request
>
> For orders & inquiries, contact us at
> asmahan3@live.com

One post, registered today. What is going on with the 'moderate new members' module that none of the admins (that I know about) have access to? Why do I sometimes get a popup about unapproved messages, spend time dealing with, and then this crap?

I delete the user, ban his IP, and he'll be back in ten minutes from another address in his subnet. This is just stupid management.
VDX
August 15, 2013 04:54PM
... I'm criticizing this uncomfortable user- and post-editing some years now, but it seems to be a too big step to change the server structure or to a more modern system confused smiley

@Cefiar - I've activated you as mod in the Australian user-groups - you'll see new options for threads, posts and users, when you're in one of the forums ... check them out and give feedback winking smiley

Viktor
--------

August 15, 2013 05:53PM
Thanks VDX. I can see the options now and will give feedback once I've used them in context a bit. winking smiley

FWIW: I do a bit of phpBB admin stuff, and I've dealt with a lot of different systems as a mod before. Can you tell I used to be a BBS Sysop back in the 90's? winking smiley

BTW: I'd have a look at the StopForumSpam module (at [www.phorum.org] - the one Sublime linked to earlier). It won't remove all spam, but it cuts it down, which will make a huge difference.

Note: There was mention of issues generally with Spam Hurdles if you leave the edit page open and end up with a stale auth cookie (eg: start editing a message, walk away from your machine, come back 3 hrs later and then finish it, it goes straight to being moderated, even if you are an Admin!), so perhaps the Spam Hurdles module may not be the best choice, or the default settings will need tweaking.

Is there a list of modules installed and in-use?

PS: Happy to move admin convos like this off to an email list somewhere, or to a separate forum, if the info is deemed somewhat sensitive.
VDX
August 15, 2013 06:15PM
... this are the activated Phorum Modules - five more not active, but not really helpfull with spams:

Akismet Spam Checker (version 5.2.1)
BBcode (version 2.0.11)
Editor tools (version 1.2.3)
Embed Attachments (version 1.0.1)
External Phorummail (version 2.1.1)
HTML Phorum Mod
Mailinglist (version 1.5.1)
Smileys
Spam Hurdles (version 2.0.2)

The settings are rudimentary, so not much optimizing or tweaking possibilities eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------

August 15, 2013 08:22PM
Good to know. I set up a local Phorum install a while ago (to play with the Ignore Forum module) and might resurrect it again to have a play. Figuring out how things work will give me an idea of what you can/can't change, what may/may not make a difference, etc and to be able to make informed suggestions rather than just guesses. smiling smiley
Anonymous User
August 15, 2013 09:21PM
Me too. Adrian finally re-contacted me and I've been added to the admin mailing list.

I need to install a copy of Phorum so I can write a script that will allow a database to be converted to phpBB3.

I have considerable experience there as well. I think most of us will agree that it is infinitely more manageable and configurable, and we should strive to make that something that Adrian can agree to. Sooner rather than later...

The only possible downside is managing the in-forum ban lists: If they grow too large the forum slows down because of additional table queries every time the IP address or username field is checked. On a large board it's impossible to use something like spam checkers and expect them to work all the time, and you pay for every new DNS or HTTP query in slow page load times.

My workaround to that is using Linux's iptables firewall filters. I just drop the spammers and would-be hackers into the bit-bucket and forget about 'em.
August 16, 2013 04:48AM
FWIW: If you're doing block lists of any sort (outside of firewall rules), limiting them to sign-up pages reduces the delays significantly, and only gives slowdowns when people go through the sign up process. If they've already signed up, there's no slow down which improves performance immensely. I know some of the phpBB3 add-ons take this approach, so it might be worth digging into things a bit to check.
August 16, 2013 06:12AM

I delete the user, ban his IP, and he'll be back in ten minutes from another address in his subnet.

That's the reason why I consider banning IPs to be pointless. Spammers have plenty of IPs available. I guess they use IPs of hacked PCs or routers, so each time you ban a spammer, you also ban legitimate users.

In the wiki I stopped this type of banning and if I do, e.g. because a spamming user account is re-used repeatedly, I ban for a few months only.

I need to install a copy of Phorum so I can write a script that will allow a database to be converted to phpBB3.

Good luck. phpBB is more popular, so you also have to battle more sophisticated spam bots. smiling smiley

Anyways, please keep a phpBB version of this forum as simple as the current one. Simplicity is beautiful and successful. phpBB has way to many features by default and a distractive appearance. This can be fixed by disabling "features", though. Some in the admin area, others by simply deleting the corresponding HTML/PHP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2013 06:19AM by Traumflug.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Anonymous User
August 16, 2013 05:14PM
After careful consideration and a test installation of this crap software to check the ease of migration, I will not be offering my services. Viktor will be good enough to remove my privileges, I trust, because I have no interest in doing anything here again.

This place is crippled. The administrators that have root access don't answer emails, the mailing list is a joke, the "spam hurdles" are a joke, the inability to apply flood control or moderating new members only works sometimes...

The list goes on, and you people are welcome to discuss it to death while the problems build up.

Goodbye again, and good luck.
August 20, 2013 08:20AM
What's going on here?

While filling up the Wiki I took a look over here and what I'm reading sounds very alarming to me.

No comments and no answers from the admins? Hm.

Doesn't sound good to me. I hope this changes soon, because I'm not willing to publish my work in(to) a big dustbin.
September 05, 2013 01:11PM
Volunteer admin time tends to come in clumps, so at times messages may look like they're ignored, but we get to it as we can. A few new admin-types were recently added, so things should be looking up.

I've been attacking the wiki/forum software, bringing everything up to current version. The forums are current as of a few weeks ago, and progress is being made on upgrading Mediawiki to 1.21.1.

Once that's done there will be more anti-spam options , but the Mediawiki upgrade is currently my primary focus.

cheers,
Bill
Anonymous User
September 13, 2013 04:33PM
From a post to the admin list earlier today:

A user registered today and was able to post (apparently) without having a moderator approve his first message.

I thought this had been taken care of.

And just a few minutes ago there were unapproved messages from a poster who registered 9 days ago and has 3 posts:

Do things change randomly?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2013 04:52PM by calcetin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login