Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to be added on the reprap wiki

Posted by CharlieSteurbaut 
How to be added on the reprap wiki
May 01, 2013 09:30AM
Hello,

Is there a admin who can add my webshop on the reprap suppliers wiki page?

Thx!

www.facebook.com/Charlies3DTechnologies
www.charlies3dtechnologies.com/webshop
webshop@charlies3dt.com
Re: How to be added on the reprap wiki
May 01, 2013 01:51PM
Why not follow the instructions on the web page?
May 01, 2013 01:52PM
May 02, 2013 02:57AM
What bobc means is that you can EDIT IT YOURSELF!
It is only a wiki after all...

Create an account (if you haven't already), log in, go to the Printing Material Suppliers wiki page and start editing.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
May 02, 2013 03:03AM
Hello,

The supplier page is not possible to add it yourself. Otherwise i would have done it.

www.facebook.com/Charlies3DTechnologies
www.charlies3dtechnologies.com/webshop
webshop@charlies3dt.com
May 02, 2013 03:38AM
Oh you mean the RepRap Buyers' Guide page.
No, that, the main page and a few others can only be edited by admins.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
May 02, 2013 03:43AM
VDX
May 02, 2013 04:15AM
... this are different admin-levels! - I'm admin in the RepRap-forum, but not with full editing capabilities in the WiKi, so can't edit pages that are flagged as 'admin only'.

You have to contact a WiKi-admin, write your question in the discussion-tab of the side ( [reprap.org] ) or wait, until one of them reads this thread ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
May 02, 2013 08:17AM

Is there a admin who can add my webshop on the reprap suppliers wiki page?

I can. Which text with which link do you want to go where?

Please also bear in mind the RepRap wikis main purpose is to describe developments, technical research and user support. Having links to shops is only a side effect of that. I'm aware you plunked down links to apparently every single item in your shop all over the wiki already and your wiki contributions are limited to nothing but inserting shop links. Advertisements should be kept short.

To everybody: if you have ideas on how to cut down all these shop lists back to an informative amount, I'm all ears. IMHO, extensive lists like for example this one: [reprap.org] aren't helpful any more. Would it help to list only distinct products, similar to how pages about electronics do? For example [reprap.org]

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

May 07, 2013 02:25AM
Traumflug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To everybody: if you have ideas on how to cut down
> all these shop lists back to an informative
> amount, I'm all ears. IMHO, extensive lists like
> for example this one:
> [reprap.org]
> iers aren't helpful any more. Would it help to
> list only distinct products, similar to how pages
> about electronics do? For example
> [reprap.org]

As someone who helped reformat that list many time and probably helped start what that list has now become, I think it's been corrupted a lot from what it was originally aimed to be.

It wasn't originally meant to be so much of a suppliers page, more as a list of known working products with enough detail to make a basic choice between them for your application (eg: shaft types and sizes, holding torque ratings, links to specs).

The adding of prices to that list was a mistake IMO. I consider adding pricing a mistake on all the supplier links that are on the wiki as well. Putting such pricing info into the wiki is IMO stupid, as it goes stale way too fast, and requires a LOT of upkeep to keep it correct (which people always neglect to take into account). The people who put it there and complained that it wasn't there were unhappy that you had to go outside the RepRap wiki to find out how much something costs. In other words, they were unwilling to do any of their own research, and wanted to rely on others to do it for them, which to me is a bit of a bum deal. < /rant >

Back to the table: In some cases, many of these are the same product sold by different vendors, and so the product itself should only take one line in the table. The last field could be links to vendors who sell that product (with multiple links to each specific vendor). For all I care, the link could be direct to the item in question in an online shop, especially if the vendor is happy to edit the wiki, put in the direct link, and keep it maintained.
May 07, 2013 06:38AM

In some cases, many of these are the same product sold by different vendors, and so the product itself should only take one line in the table. The last field could be links to vendors who sell that product (with multiple links to each specific vendor).

Full agreement. I'll take that into account on my occasional refinements.

May 14, 2013 06:52AM
As a design example for the above, I've redesigned the table for NEMA14 steppers: [reprap.org] For comparison I left the old table in place, too.

What do you think?

May 15, 2013 08:58PM
Much nicer. Gives enough detail without being overwhelming.

That said, I wouldn't use "same as above" for the SOYO SY35ST36-1004B, as if someone reorders the table (that's what those buttons do) or someone else inserts another record, it will get out of place and confusing. I'd personally prefer to have all the info there for every record.
May 16, 2013 07:05AM

That said, I wouldn't use "same as above" for the SOYO SY35ST36-1004B, as if someone reorders the table (that's what those buttons do) or someone else inserts another record, it will get out of place and confusing.

Fixed.

May 17, 2013 06:11PM
Looks good! I say go for it!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login