Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Good to know general info about our printers (by Kliment)

Posted by Asbiorn 
Good to know general info about our printers (by Kliment)
October 14, 2013 08:40PM
The printer we built is a boxframe RepRap Prusa i3, source code in OpenSCAD format is available at:
[github.com]

The extruder is an MGS, available at [github.com] (the i3 variant in that directory is the one we used)

The parts came from RepRapSource, the kit we used is identical to [reprapsource.com]
That same shop is also a decent place to get filament, though you probably want to group orders together to save on shipping costs.

SOFTWARE:

If you're running Windows, or if you are running something else and need to update the firmware for some reason, you need to download and install Arduino from arduino.cc. Version 1.0.5 works fine.

We're using Marlin firmware to run the printer. You can download Marlin from [github.com] and the configuration file we are using is [pastebin.com]

We're using Slic3r to generate gcode from STL files. You can get Slic3r and learn more about it from slic3r.org

We used Printrun/Pronterface to control the printer from a computer. You can get the source code of Pronterface at [github.com] or download a Windows or Mac package from [koti.kapsi.fi]

We used OpenSCAD to design models by programming shapes. OpenSCAD, and links to many manuals and tutorials and videos about using it are available at [www.openscad.org] There are many, many other programs you can use to design 3d objects. To learn about a few of them, use the IRC keyword "3d sw" and then ask the bot about any of the items in the resulting list (see below).

We downloaded a number of models from Thingiverse, which is a closed and evil, but comprehensive database of 3d models.

PRINT QUALITY:

There is a manual for getting absolutely amazing print quality, you can find it here:
[reprap.org]
We did some of the steps while I was there, you can do some of the others (extrusion and temperature fine tuning) if you're not happy with how your prints turn out.

IRC:

Best place to get help is the #reprap IRC channel on Freenode. If you have never used IRC and are too scared to learn, there is a website that lets you access the IRC channel directly - go to [webchat.freenode.net] and enter a username to join. Once in there, there are several important commands:

/nick newname
changes your username to newname - useful if the name you originally chose is taken

/j #channelname
Joins the chatroom called channelname. The most interesting ones for you are going to be #reprap and #reprap.dk (if you want to meet other Danish reprappers or swear in Danish)

/query username
Opens a private chat with another user - please don't use unnecessarily, it's much better to ask questions directly in the main channel

There is an IRC robot in #reprap called kthx. It contains a database of "factoids". Factoids are like dictionary entries, you enter a keyword and it gives a response. To ask the bot something, say your query followed by a question mark. For example:

< MacGalempsy> i3?
< kthx> i3 is BOX FRAME: [tinyurl.com] or SINGLE PLATE [tinyurl.com] or MINI: [i.imgur.com] - see repo: [github.com]
build docs: [tinyurl.com] bom: [tinyurl.com] build videos: [tinyurl.com] reprap wiki build info [tinyurl.com] and single
plate BOM: [goo.gl]

In this case, the user named MacGalempsy wanted to get information about the i3 model (the one we built) and kthx responded with its database entry. There are thousands of database entries, and anyone who is in #reprap may edit them.

I am always on the IRC channel using the name Kliment. Ask me anything.

If I'm busy/sleeping/eating, I might not answer immediately, but there are several hundred people on there, many of whom are willing to help. Don't be afraid, come in bravely, and ask.

I suggest you make a habit of hanging out on the IRC while you're around your printer, as even just seeing what questions other people ask is very informative.

REPLACEMENT PARTS:

If any of the nonprinted parts in your machine fail, let me know. I'm sending over some spare linear bearings and endstop switches tomorrow in case you need them. The printed parts I left there are also available to use in case you break one of them and cannot convince any of your friends to print you a replacement.

HURRIED PACKING:

I forgot at least two things when I left - a yellow-handled flatheaded screwdriver and a bag of extruder temperature sensors. I would appreciate if someone could stick them in an envelope and mail them over to me.

PRINT RESULTS, PHOTOS, AND OTHER MEDIA:

I'd really love to get links to photos and videos you made during the workshop, and to see what you're using your machines for.(Kliment)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login