Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

how can split this body? (Custom battery pack generator)

Posted by emaayan 
how can split this body? (Custom battery pack generator)
February 06, 2018 04:49PM
hi.. i'm working on something that generates a holder for lithium battery packs, based on a number of parameters , (like number of rows, columns, cells, etc..)

this is my first project in openscad, so go easy winking smiley ... my question, how can i split the BODY part (the part between holders) ..

the alternative is to print it larger, have it sandwitch between the covers which only they will be bolted.. but i'd rather not, it would be great if i could split the 4 walls separately but even splitting it in the middle, might be ok.
Attachments:
open | download - BatteryCaseGenerator.scad (13.3 KB)
Re: how can split this body? (Custom battery pack generator)
February 07, 2018 07:07AM
Splitting is easy with open scad : just add a big box, position it so contains one half of your object, subtract the box from your object (difference). Then repeat for the other half.

I'm not sure that was exactly your question ?

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
February 07, 2018 08:21AM
because the shape itself is not a box, it's this, and it's shape is depdendent on the amounts of rows and cols

February 07, 2018 08:22AM
trying again..
Attachments:
open | download - jLO6KaW[1].png (214.1 KB)
April 07, 2023 12:16PM
What I often do is to define a very thin sheet (cube) and subtract it from the main model where you want the slice.

Then I export the STL. I then load the STL into Raise3d's IdeaMaker slicer and it can break apart the models and then you can export each .stl section separately.

You can extend this by combining very thin cones, sheets, cylinders, to create very complex slices. Like the dovetail parts I did in this model (lid and body)

[www.thingiverse.com]

By adjusting the thinness of the cutting entity you can adjust the tolerance between the final fitted parts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login