Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Export to DXF

Posted by Replace 
Export to DXF
July 30, 2017 09:13AM
My Manufactorer wants an .DXF file or DWG from my design,
but when I start 'export > DXF' the console says: this is not a 2d file.

off course it is not!

What is the problem?

Is DXF a 2d protocol ? If yes, how do I make a 2d object from my model ?

I tried to import the SCAD file into FreeCad, but the FreeCad tutorial also claims that export to DXF is a 2d issue....

Help is appreciated.
Thomas

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
Re: Export to DXF
July 31, 2017 01:43AM
You need to apply projection(){...} to your 3D object in order to obtain a 2D object which can be exported as DXF.
July 31, 2017 07:34AM
Yes, DXF is a 2D format, so can only be used for flat objects such as sheet metal etc. OpenScad can produce a DXF format output by telling it to output a 2D cross-section or projection of your 3D object, or using only 2D primitives in your design (square, circle etc.)

Dave
July 31, 2017 12:31PM
So,

I now have a design, that is totally flat (to be stamped out of 6mm aluminium), but it is still 6mm thick and can not be exported into DXF.

Can I surround this complete code within the PROJECTION function ? Any parameters involved ?

Thomas

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
July 31, 2017 03:59PM
It worked !! thumbs up

Thanks !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login