Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OpenScad running in GPU ?

Posted by Replace 
OpenScad running in GPU ?
April 28, 2017 09:05AM
Does it make sense to buy / build a new PC with multiple GPU video cards, to enhance rendering performance ?

In fact, the question is whether it will use that capacity ...

Thomas

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
Re: OpenScad running in GPU ?
May 03, 2017 08:21AM
I don't know for sure, but FWIW I am seeing very similar rendering times on two PCs that have the same (i7) CPU, but one of which has a cheap graphics card (+/-£30), and the other a mid-range card (+/- £250). Both running Win8. If anything the PC with the expensive graphics is a bit slower, though I have never timed them so it's very subjective.

Dave
May 04, 2017 09:23AM
Openscad uses the CPU to actually create and render the model, and the GPU to display the model on screen.

If you can find out if you're maxing out your card then maybe a newer one would help, but aside from that the FPS is limited by Openscads rendering system.
May 13, 2017 03:20AM
I'd be more interested, if OpenScad would benefit from multicore CPU's?
I've seen a big leap forward with Slic3er Prusa edition taking advantage of multithreading, so why not OpenScad?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2017 03:21AM by o_lampe.
May 13, 2017 03:52AM
o_lampe
I'd be more interested, if OpenScad would benefit from multicore CPU's?
I've seen a big leap forward with Slic3er Prusa edition taking advantage of multithreading, so why not OpenScad?

I wish it could - my Linux box has an 8-core processor, but OpenSCAD only uses one when working. sad smiley
April 07, 2023 12:28PM
Best way to make rendering faster is to turn on fast-csg options in Preferences->Features
fast-csg does'nt always work for all models, but it works most of the time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login