Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"write.scad" not found?

Posted by o_lampe 
"write.scad" not found?
May 26, 2015 12:10PM
Hi guys, I rendered the" cubed gears" from emmett:
[www.thingiverse.com]
But I got error warnings about write.scad not found.
One of the features of this print is to put your own text in it. But that doesn´t work with my latest version of openSCAD ( 2015-03-1)

use 
Font = "write/Letters.dxf";//["write/Letters.dxf":Basic,"write/orbitron.dxf":Futuristic,"write/BlackRose.dxf":Fancy]

What can I do to make it work?
-Olaf
BTW: The cube is great!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2015 12:11PM by o_lampe.
Re: "write.scad" not found?
May 26, 2015 06:57PM
did it work with a previous version?

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

May 27, 2015 04:36AM
thejollygrimreaper

I don´t know.
I just started with openSCAD, was used to use SolidWorks before.

I also get another warning
DEPRECATED: The assign() module will be removed in future releases. Use a regular assignment instead.
Probably that happend to the write.scad module too?

This geared cube is one of the most popular things on thingiverse, it was published ~2012
Which version should I use? Or can I reassign a different font? How?
-Olaf
May 27, 2015 04:51AM
o_lampe
thejollygrimreaper

I don´t know.
I just started with openSCAD, was used to use SolidWorks before.

I also get another warning
DEPRECATED: The assign() module will be removed in future releases. Use a regular assignment instead.
Probably that happend to the write.scad module too?

This geared cube is one of the most popular things on thingiverse, it was published ~2012
Which version should I use? Or can I reassign a different font? How?
-Olaf

you'll find that the author hasn't included the write.scad file , probably because they assume you already have it, a quick google gets me this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:16193

i'm not sure if that one will work but it would be worth a try and or contacting the author for some help,

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

May 27, 2015 08:16AM
I have attached the files you need. Put the "Write.Scad" file and all the DXF files in the same folder as the SCAD file you are using. Ensure that the SCAD file has a line starting "use" or "include" followed by "write.scad" in angle brackets (I cannot include the exact line in a post because the forum software removes text inside angle brackets, but the DOC file in the ZIP gives an example) - I suspect that you will find such a line already in the Scad file, but ensure that it has no path. (You can in fact put the write scad files in a separate folder and use the full path, but it is easier at first to put all files in the same folder).

You can change the font - the default is "Letters.dxf" and can be changed to one of the other DXF files in line 34 of "Write.scad"

You can ignore the warning regarding the use of the "assign" statement. The latest OpenScad does not require the use of "assign", but as all older version did, many scad files you download will use it. It will not affect you at present - if you want you can look for all occurrences of the keyword "assign" and delete that keyword (keep the rest of the line intact), but it is not necessary right now (it may become necessary in future OpenScad versions).

Dave

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2015 08:26AM by dmould.
Attachments:
open | download - Write.zip (141.7 KB)
May 28, 2015 08:47AM
Thanks to all of you!
It would´ve never come to my mind to look in thingiverse for the file... eye rolling smiley
-Olaf
Now I can customize my print.. Christmas presents, here they come winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login