Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OpenSCAD clone for Android (ScorchCAD)

Posted by Scorch 
OpenSCAD clone for Android (ScorchCAD)
April 25, 2014 10:39PM
For anyone interested there is a free clone of OpenSCAD for android devices that was recently released on the Google play store. The app is called ScorchCAD.

The initial release of ScorchCAD does not have a complete set of OpenSCAD functions but I think there are enough functions to get a start on an OpenSCAD project while away from home.

I am the author of ScorchCAD and I plan to keep adding features in the future.

Scorch
Re: OpenSCAD clone for Android (ScorchCAD)
May 11, 2014 12:03PM
Thanks.
It runs om my Asus Transformer now :-)
(Slowly but it does ....)

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
May 13, 2014 06:20AM
Looks good on both my Nexus 7 (1st gen) and Asus MeMO HD 7. Great work!

Some (possibly naive) questions:
Why does it only support a subset of the OpenSCAD functions? Does it use the actual OpenSCAD codebase or are you having to implement each feature independently?

Will it eventually keep up with the full/current OpenSCAD feature set?

Any intention to support GitHub/BitBucket? I keep all my .scad files in git and a killer feature for me would be to be able to grab the latest version from my repo, render it and output to STL ready for uploading to OctoPrint to allow me to kick off a print from a remote location. :-)
Similarly, exporting a PNG of the latest render would be useful for certain aspects of my workflow!

Will be keeping an eye on this as I've been looking for a portable/remote solution for a while.
May 13, 2014 06:51PM
QuackingPlums
Why does it only support a subset of the OpenSCAD functions? Does it use the actual OpenSCAD codebase or are you having to implement each feature independently?

ScorchCAD does not use any source code from OpenSCAD. The user interface and SCAD interpreter were written from scratch.
The Constructive Solid Geometry (CSG) code was derived from the javascript program OpenJSCAD. I manually converted the CSG code to Java.

So yes each new feature requires additional work.

QuackingPlums
Will it eventually keep up with the full/current OpenSCAD feature set?

I do plan to continue adding features I am not certain if I will ever catch up with the OpenSCAD developers though (they continue to write new features)

QuackingPlums
Any intention to support GitHub/BitBucket?

I don't use GitHub or BitBucket so I have not given those services much thought but I will keep it in mind.

QuackingPlums
...exporting a PNG of the latest render would be useful for certain aspects of my workflow!

I don't know of an easy way to export an image file but if I happen to run into one I will keep that in mind also.

Scorch

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2014 06:53PM by Scorch.
May 14, 2014 10:54AM
I've played with it a bit, and it's definitely impressive!

I look forward to seeing more of the core functions evolve: the models I messed with seemed to have difficulty with "hull", which I use everywhere.

Thanks for the hard work, Scorch!
May 15, 2014 10:24PM
@maso, you are right "hull" is not supported. It is one that will require a lot of work so it probably will not be next to be included. However it is probably one of the more interesting problems I need to solve so I will probably at least be thinking about it.

Scorch
June 08, 2014 03:07AM
Make me dream about sending print jobs from my mobile over Wi-Fi to my RepRap.

To add new features, STL/AMF export capability etc.; @Scorch are you interested in open source development?

Thank you very much for the impressive idea, effort and allocation.
Regards.
June 08, 2014 11:27PM
ScorchCAD does have the ability to export STL files (under the main menu "Export STL File") .

For now ScorchCAD is not open source, I don't see that changing any time soon.

Scorch
July 23, 2014 01:12AM
Congrats for your work scorch.
Just wondering if ther's a reason why you don't want to open source, as it's a free app and you posted here in open source community?

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
doc assemblage: [reprap.org]
NEW: Forum smartfriendz: [smartraptalk.smartfriendz.com]
July 23, 2014 08:11PM
I am just keeping my options open. I posted it on the RepRap forum because I genuinely thought people here might be interested.

Scorch
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login