Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Screw Thread

Posted by Replace 
Screw Thread
May 22, 2013 08:11PM
I am looking for the functions to define a Inner or outer Screw Thread, so I can design sccrewable caps and joints.

Anybody familiar with this way of coding?

Thomas

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
jcr
Re: Screw Thread
May 23, 2013 09:48AM
Hi Thomas,

While writing thread generator scripts from scratch is an interesting exercise, you could also use an existing library and focus on the rest of your design instead. There are plenty of pre-exisintg thread libraries available on thingiverse, amongst those you'll find:
OpenSCAD ISO metric thread library / functions
Metric Screw Thread Library

I'm rather fond of the first I mention here, but if that doesn't fit your needs, try searching thingiverse and see if you can find one that does. If not, those should atleast provide you with plenty examples of how to write your own, but why reinvent the wheel when you don't have to winking smiley
May 24, 2013 02:36PM
Hi J,

thanks, good links.

Would I be correct to assume that a screw thread that is printed and boolean differenced from another object will fit ?
Or should I scale either one of them ?

What is your experience ?

Thomas

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
jcr
May 28, 2013 07:27AM
Hi Thomas,

While the difference between an object and a screw thread should work in theory, you will probably run into clearance issues and the printed parts will not fit together. Randomly messing with the scale might make it work, but perhaps it's easier to use ISO lib's thread_in() and thread_out() modules, which already take this into account and should result in snugly fitting threads*

Best regards,
John

*) with a correctly setup and calibrated printer
May 29, 2013 12:08AM
i tried on the second link, by difference,
but you are correct: non-fit :-)

i will retry on the iso libs

rgrd Thomas

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login