Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tulsa area

Posted by sonex128 
Tulsa area
March 13, 2013 03:29AM
Anybody in the Tulsa area interested in getting started with RepRap or need help or parts. Let me know. I am located between Claremore and Owasso. I have a Prusa Mendel. Would love to help others get started. Can Help with parts or just info.

Brian
Re: Tulsa area
March 20, 2013 03:13PM
I've ordered all the parts of a Prusa i3. I wish I would have checked here a few days ago I would have seen if you were interested in printing some parts for me. smiling smiley I live in Broken Arrow. As I get into the build I might bug you with some questions. I assume you have the Prusa iteration 2?
rpx
March 21, 2013 03:02PM
I'm very interested in getting started w/ 3D printing. I am in the midtown Tulsa area.

I actually was looking at ordering a Mendel90. Suggestions?

-------
rpx
March 22, 2013 10:04AM
Yes I basically have a Prusa Mendel 2. I am running Gen7 v1.5. Etched the PCB and built the board. I started with a set of cast Clonedel parts. I am replacing all the cast parts as soon as I can.

I would be glad to print any parts you might want.

The Prusa i3 and Mendel 90 are good machines. Probably easier to set up than the original Prusa.

I am going to start working on putting a Rostock Kossel together for my next printer.

I would be happy to answer any questions if I can.

Brian
March 22, 2013 06:25PM
Rostock is very interesting to me too, but it's going to be a while before I'm done setting up and playing with my i3. Just curious brian are you using 3mm or 1.75? What extruder are you using on the cold end?

rpx - I was going to tell you that I don't have much advice since I haven't built mine yet, but I there are a couple of things that I've picked up from reading that might help you. Brian feel free to correct me on anything that you think is wrong from what you've experienced.

One think I've seen a lot of people saying to make sure you get a GT2 pulley/belt instead of T2.5 or T5. I found 2 all aluminum pulley's and length of belt for about $30 on ebay. I think you also want to make sure you get good straight rod. I think it's pretty well known these days that you want to get linear bearings and not pla bushings. Also, get ABS parts for the motor mounts as PLA doesn't stand up to heat as well.

I kind of went overboard on buying stuff for mine because I wanted to make sure that as I learned and calibrated I wanted to know that the issues I run in to I should be able to fix and aren't because of the quality of my gear. So I got an azteeg x3 board, pretty good .9 degree steppers that roy from panucatt recommended, his helios heated bed, an aluminum frame that Prusa milled (although I think the laser cut wood design might be more stable I thought it would be cool to get his exact design at least for my first one), etc. FYI, I'm not recommending you do that I'm just

I'll let you know how to build is going now and then.
March 23, 2013 12:13AM
I am using 1.75mm. I went with a modified QU-BD direct drive extruder/hotend. I went straight to a MK7 gear from Trinity Labs and a spring tensioner from thingiverse that I printed at FabLabTulsa. I haven't had any problems with it. It is compact and very reasonably priced.

I just received GT2 machined pulleys and belt that I bought from eBay. You can get away with XL belt and printed pulleys, but I occasionally had problems with the printed pulleys.

I am also converting to linear LM8UU's on all axis. PLAY works fine on motor mounts as long as you set the current right. I had one set wrong and the motor mount became soft.

I just received some ABS so I will soon be able to print both PLA and ABS.

Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2013 12:16AM by sonex128.
March 24, 2013 09:42AM
I'm in Jenks and in the research and budgeting phase right now, Hopefully I'll be able to build it in July. My own abilities seem to be the biggest hurdle, but I'm trying. Has anyone thought of doing something like a monthly or quarterly meetup to sit down and chat about parts, problems, etc?
March 24, 2013 06:28PM
beaglebot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm in Jenks and in the research and budgeting
> phase right now, Hopefully I'll be able to build
> it in July. My own abilities seem to be the
> biggest hurdle, but I'm trying. Has anyone thought
> of doing something like a monthly or quarterly
> meetup to sit down and chat about parts, problems,
> etc?

Don't worry about your abilities. Just dive in when you can and I can help with a lot.

A meet would be nice. Just seeing a printer and having someone walk you through some stuff helps a lot.

Brian
March 25, 2013 01:20PM
Hi,
I live in midtown Tulsa and am looking at getting a RepRapPro Tricolour before the end of summer.

I would also be interested in a meetup.
March 28, 2013 01:34PM
I'd be up for meeting sometime. I work downtown all the time so I could even do lunch or something if you of you are in the downtown area during the day. Once I get my build done I'd be happy to show you too. Still waiting on frame, electronics, and hotend so I have several weeks to go still, but functional in April.
April 11, 2013 02:25PM
Haven't had anything to report on my build for a while. DHL from Germany for some reason has my i3 frame stuck in transit for like 3 weeks. So that stinks. I have done quite a bit of cleanup on plastic parts and started putting things some things together. I received my electronics, but I have a short in my Azteeg X3 cover somewhere and I'm working with Roy at Panucatt to troubleshoot that. Unfortunately he's traveling right now and so that is going to very slow. Just wanted to put something out here since nobody has posted for quite a while. My E3D-V4 hotend should arrive early next week. I need more free time. smiling smiley
June 11, 2013 10:04AM
I just ordered a Mendal Max 2 fro Makers Tool Works in OKC. Now waiting ............
July 09, 2013 11:56AM
I hadn't updated for while. I've been printing with my i3 for a month or two now, but wasn't able to spend much time on it in the last few weeks. I was able to print a lego that actually worked pretty well so calibration is pretty good, but I'm still dialing things in. It's a lot of fun, but it's definately not plug and play. I'm getting better at it though. Tinkering with different methods to getting parts to stick to heated bed. I've been focused on ABS.

I did print a set of 59:11 herringbone gears to replace my 39:11 ones I bought on ebay. Make a big difference in how hot my stepper gets. It's also one of the coolest things I've printed so far.
Uni
September 11, 2013 09:03AM
This would be a great idea...

beaglebot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm in Jenks and in the research and budgeting
> phase right now, Hopefully I'll be able to build
> it in July. My own abilities seem to be the
> biggest hurdle, but I'm trying. Has anyone thought
> of doing something like a monthly or quarterly
> meetup to sit down and chat about parts, problems,
> etc?
September 25, 2013 10:06AM
I hope everyone is going to the Tulsa Maker Fair, this Saturday at Guthrie Green.

Anybody want to try and meet up during the event?

The event map [makerfairetulsa.com] showes a 3D Printing area by the North corner.
January 27, 2014 01:55PM
Deleted and started new topic. Sorry

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2014 01:59PM by mwhatch.
November 27, 2014 11:45AM
you guys still around? I was in radioshack and a fella mentioned a group in Tulsa. I live in Owasso.
April 29, 2015 12:19AM
created a new topic
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login