Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printable Valves?

Posted by Mogal 
Printable Valves?
March 02, 2014 02:58PM
hello!

I'm looking for some 3D printable valves?
Such as ball, gate and globe valves.

My school has recently purchased a replicator x2 and Digitizer (Digitizer is pretty much useless)

The reason for purchasing the printer is to build training aids to help cut costs. (Valves)
Being able to print multiple plastic valves on demand vs the procurement of 'REAL' valves.

I have my own printer at home, and once the school found out about it, they asked/tasked me for assistance.
I don't have the skills to CAD the valves, so I thought I might ask for some help.
I've gone through thingiverse and grab cad, and although there are valves there, I don't think any are printable?

Anyone thoughts, or ideas to help my school out?

NOTE:
I know the most of the challenges to 3D printers, and the challenge to set this up. If the school can
get some workable proto types from this set-up, they are willing to get a more 'Professional' 3D printer.

--------------------------------------------------------
Custom all metal CoreXY
- Duet 2 Wifi w/ PanelDue 7i
- 330mm x 360mm x 500mm
- 750w Silicon heater

Custom Mendel90
(Backup printer - Old reliable!) - Sold
Re: Printable Valves?
March 03, 2014 12:05AM
Just to clarify, you want to print models of the valves to use for educational purposes, correct? You are not trying to print fully functional devices that will actually contain fluid and hold a seal, correct?

Thingiverse and Grab-cad are the places I would have recommended you start with... when you say the valves you found are not "printable" what exactly is wrong with them? Not correct format? The shapes are not suited for printing? Or something else?

You could try some of the other sites listed here: Printable part sources. Yeggi and Parametric Parts might have something you could use.

You could also make a request in r/cad and someone might be happy to make you a few models.
March 14, 2014 02:24PM
What kind of valves? I do valve engineering at work. Mostly large industrial motor-operated gate valves. I can't provide you with the actual geometry of our valves, but I can probably make some simple scale representations.
July 23, 2015 01:39PM
Tesla valve?:
[en.wikipedia.org]

Tesla Valvular - Designed and patented in the 1920's:
[www.thingiverse.com]

Optimized Tesla Valve (parametric):
[www.thingiverse.com]
July 23, 2015 02:19PM
I suspect that getting a good seal from a fully printed ball valve will be a problem. You might be able to get needle valves to work provided you print with the layers in the right orientation.
July 28, 2015 10:57AM
I doubt his inquiry is still relevant to him...
July 28, 2015 01:39PM
Hey guys, this has been put on the back burner for now, but I am still interested in pursuing this later one.
these will be used as training aids, and not in any system operation.

I've looked at the tesla vale, but gate, ball, globe, needle valves was the direction I was heading....

--------------------------------------------------------
Custom all metal CoreXY
- Duet 2 Wifi w/ PanelDue 7i
- 330mm x 360mm x 500mm
- 750w Silicon heater

Custom Mendel90
(Backup printer - Old reliable!) - Sold
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login