Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa Air 2 build

Posted by pezzer2003 
Prusa Air 2 build
July 03, 2012 06:59AM
G'day everyone,
I have finally started my Prusa Air 2 build [reprap.org] I have wanted to make a 3D printer for a long time. One of the guys at work bought a 3D UP! And is printing off the part for me this week.
I purchased a PhlatPrinter [www.phlatboyz.com] for my model aeroplane building and have modified it to cut 6mm MDF. I have started to cut out the parts and I’m planning on cutting them in Perspex once I have it all up and running.
I have been slowly getting all the Vitamins and should have it all together within the month.
As I finish I will post pic’s,
Matt
Re: Prusa Air 2 build
July 06, 2012 09:21AM
Well I finally finished off CNC’ing the parts and have done a dry fit of the parts I have so far.

My plan was to build this for under $800 and I’m close to achieving that goal.
Thus far I have spent around $400 and I am about to spend $270 for the electronics and it will almost done.

The only issue I am having is finding 8mm Stainless Steel rod. This design asks for 6 rods at lengths of 4 x 410 mm and 2 x 345 mm. If anyone could point me in the right direction for them that would be much appreciated.

My final setup will be:
Prusa Air 2 (by Mecano)
Linear bearings for X, Y and Z Axis
T2.5 belts and aluminum pulleys.
Greg's Wade reloaded - Guidler, Tilt Screws, Fishbone Gears [www.thingiverse.com]
RAMPS 1.4 w/MEGA 2560, 5 x 4988 Driver's, SDRAMPS
5 x NEMA 17 stepper motors
MK 2 Heat Bed
Mechanical Endstops

My bed size will be 200mm x 200mm and have a Z travel of about 100mm.
Cheers,

Matt
January 25, 2013 12:03AM
Hi Matt,

This is an old topic, not sure how you went with your machine.
I am building the same one.

These guys can provide the smooth rod and are very good to deal with - [www.linearbearings.com.au]

Cheers
Ash
January 25, 2013 07:11AM
Thanks Ash.
I had finished my build some time ago. But I have been having issues with extruders... I went from a very unreliable wades style extruder to a QU-BD direct extruder which I have had a far bit of issues with but have got it to print at reasonable level. I'm now looking at some small mod's to the Prusa Air 2 design to make it wider and to have no air flow under the print/heat bed.

I will get some pic's, and write up a setup later as I am still tinkering with the firmware..

Cheers,
MATT..
February 27, 2014 11:53PM
Well it has been a while but i finally have it running the best it can be...
I had so many problems with the QU-BD extruder but I made my own barrel with a teflon insert and now I can print all day with no problems.
Check out some of my prints at [www.thingiverse.com]

PEZ
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login