Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trying to build laser-cut Mendel90, having a couple of issues with OpenSCAD, Python

Posted by jswilson64 
As the title says, I'm trying to configure a Mendel90. I have access to big 130 watt laser cutter, and a CNC router, so I'm exploring how to build the frame.

Trying to set up the configs but as a n00b to OpenSCAD & Python, I'm not sure on a couple of things.

First off, if I want to up-size my X axis to 300, I'm assuming I have to change:
X_travel = 200;
bed_width = 214;
and
bed_holes = [209, 209];

Question 1: in the Bed_holes variable, which number is X and which is Y ? I'm assuming X,Y but I'm not sure.

Question 2: in the laser-cut Mendel90 code, the readme says that I can't use the Make_Machine.Py script and will need to compile individual SCAD files - which files do I need to re-compile if I extend the X axis ? If I also extend the Z axis (still debating this) which files do I need to recompile for that?

Thanks
Re: Trying to build laser-cut Mendel90, having a couple of issues with OpenSCAD, Python
April 29, 2017 04:15AM
1. Yes X,Y.
2. I don't know what you mean by " laser-cut Mendel90 code". The Mendel90 acrylic version is here: [github.com] and can be built with make_machine.py mendel.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Re: Trying to build laser-cut Mendel90, having a couple of issues with OpenSCAD, Python
April 29, 2017 04:18AM
Sorry I now realise you mean the Think3DPrint3D version.

Yes, that's right - the Think 3d Print 3d version. Thanks!
April 29, 2017 06:59PM
They started with my version and modified it. I don't know what they did to stop make_machine.py working. If you change the build dimensions of my version I think most of the STL files stay the same but the bom files will have longer rods and belts and the the DXF files for the sheets will change. To generate those I would run bom.py and sheets.py but I don't know if they will work if make_machine.py is broken. In each case the python files expect the name of the machine variant and that selects the config file to use.

If you open main.scad in OpenSCAD and press F5 it should show the machine assembled. If that looks correct then to manually export the dxf files you would need to instantiate each of the ..._dxf modules, press F6 and then export the DXF.

E.g. If you add
!frame_base_dxf() to the end of the file it should draw the 2D version of the base sheet.

All this assumes Think3DPrint3D's clone is still all written in OpenSCAD and is still fully parametric. I am not sure that is true.

Hi,

It's probably worth mentioning that Think3DPrint3D no longer sell the Mendel90 so I don't know what level of support you will get from them. nophead's sources are probably a better base to start from as he is always happy to help.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
Thanks for the help! I tried building a 200x200 and a 300x300 version and just looking at how the sheets looked, the played around with some of the code. And at this point I'm not sure which version I used, yours of theirs! I found a line that uses the bed_holes variable for both x and y, I think that's where I changed it since my bed will be different in X and Y. After I ran the build code my MDF parts looked right so I think that was it. :-)

It's probably going to take several months to source all my parts and print all the stuff I need to print, but thanks very very much for the response and the help!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login