Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin 1.1.0-RC7 for Mendel90

Posted by neildarlow 
Marlin 1.1.0-RC7 for Mendel90
October 12, 2016 02:18PM
Hi All,

Having rested from 3D Printing for a few months I am currently making time to produce a working Marlin 1.1.0-RC7 for the Mendel90.

I have converted the Board Support to the newer (Arduino 1.5.3 and later) format and determined that this version of Marlin requires at least Arduino 1.6.0 to build. A very basic configuration has resulted in a compile without any errors.

Now I just need to assure that all of my previous changes have been incorporated (Bo Hermannsen was doing this for his TVRRUG project based on the Mendel90) and apply any that are missing before I can test and make available for general use.

I wish to ask if there is still interest in Panelolu2 support as Think3DPrint3D no longer manufacture the device. I rarely use it myself and could live without it.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
Re: Marlin 1.1.0-RC7 for Mendel90
October 12, 2016 05:42PM
Just like Windows then. Endless new versions that make all your hardware go obsolete.

I still have a machine with a Panalolu2 but no intension of ever updating Marlin to a version incompatible with ino as that is what I use to build it.

What benefit does Marlin 1.1.0-RC7 have?

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 13, 2016 05:33AM
Hi Chris,

Still enjoying the quiet life?

The Marlin 1.1.x series is the current focus of development. It's had a lot of bug-fixing and clean-up effort but requires a newer version of Arduino than our previous Marlin versions did.

I'm OK with that because most users would prefer to use a newer Arduino than 1.0.x for their other projects and I want to use the version provided by my distribution rather than a manually installed one.

There a few new features added (with corresponding GCodes/MCodes) and the LCD menus have received a little re-structuring so if anyone has multiple machines things might look a little more consistent across them.

I think I'll implement all of the features from my previous firmware and put it in a repository alongside the older version. Users can then make their own choice as to which they use.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
October 13, 2016 04:00PM
>Still enjoying the quiet life?

Yes thanks. Playing with different filaments. Filaflex yesterday, polypropylene today.

October 14, 2016 04:37AM
nophead
>Still enjoying the quiet life?

Yes thanks. Playing with different filaments. Filaflex yesterday, polypropylene today.

Nice. Have you lined the Wade's block with PTFE tubing? I've had a go at that but it's a real challenge to accurately cut the tube for a close-fit to the hobbed bolt and idler.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

October 14, 2016 08:54AM
No I am using the NEMA14 direct drive extruder on my Huxley90 because the flexible filament I have is 1.75mm. It is like pushing string but with the right settings I can get 20mm/s. Here is a cap for my printed glasses case printed in 41 Flex polypropylene with 0.25mm layers. It prints very nicely.

October 14, 2016 09:56AM
That looks nice. The solid top-layer is somewhat sparse. Is it difficult to get complete infill with flexible materials?

Talking of success. Now that I have Marlin 1.1.0-RC7 operational I can answer your earlier question about what is better in it:

1) It is easier (and saner) to configure.
2) The heated bed now has residency parameters like the extruder. Useful for laggy beds with adhesion-assisting materials on them.
3) You can kick the cooling fan on at full-speed for a configurable time and specify a minimum running speed.
4) Lots of EEPROM-stored parameters can be configured from the LCD controller. Accelerations, velocities, steps-per-mm etc.
5) You can have a progress bar displayed on the LCD alternating with the last status message.
6) There are a number of nozzle-wiping strategies supported through a GCode - remember your toothbrush on Hydraraptor? That sort of thing.
7) Various flavours of bed-levelling (Josef Prusa's MK2 stuff should be coming soon).

I've enabled things like the Watchdog, thermal protection for thermistor problems and Babystepping on Z-axis for tweaking first layer.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

October 17, 2016 10:03AM
The top layer is sparse because I didn't re-calibrate E steps from PLA. Softer materials feed slower because they ride lower in the hob and see a smaller radius.

You can never get to 100% fill with viscous materials like ABS because it won't flow under the rounded edge of the previous infill line when it is only constrained on one side. The infill spreads more to the unconstrained side and then there isn't room for the last one. The pressure raises the nozzle unless you have a very stiff bed and Z axis, so the last infill line forms a ridge.

With flexible materials you have the added effect that the nozzle pressure can depress the top surface downwards, particularly with a shape like that above which is hollow. I find 95% flow on solid layers is a good compromise. The picture above is more like 85-90%.

I don't think I will be using any of those new features so the effort of updating the arduino version on my 5 RPIs and then finding a replacement for ino isn't worth it. I will stick with your previous version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2016 04:38AM by nophead.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login