Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cura and pronterface - Objects off centered (+warp on slic3r)

Posted by sharonf88 
Cura and pronterface - Objects off centered (+warp on slic3r)
June 29, 2015 03:08AM
Hi,

I'm trying to use the latest version of Cura to slice my print but when I upload it to pronterface it shows and prints them off center (sometimes with objects off the build plate).
My printer setting on pronterface for the build plate are 200X200X100 with X Y offset -100
On cura i chose the Prusa mendel i3. What should be the machine settings? the defualt shown is 198X185X200

Also I would like to ask what gantry height should i input on Cura settings? I want to print one-object-at-a-time

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2015 05:00AM by sharonf88.
Re: Cura and pronterface - Objects off centered
June 29, 2015 03:50AM
I changed the settings through Cura and used the start and end gcode from neil: [forums.reprap.org]
Now the pronterface shows the sliced object in the middle of the bed but after the extruder goes into the place nothing happens. On pronterface I see the thermistor graph lowering temp slowly like it shut down
Re: Cura and pronterface - Objects off centered
June 29, 2015 04:59AM
Update: modeled a simple 10X10X10 mm cube to test for accuracy. Used slic3r with 0.1mm layer height and settings recommended by forum members.
Print was centered and it started off fine, but somewhere along the way it got warped on the sides.
Measured with a digital caliper and it is indeed a perfect ten (ha ah!) on all sides before it warps.

Test android (pre sliced by nophead) with this filament came out nice but a bit wobbly on the left side:

Any tips?
(btw i'm still interested in making it work through Cura)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2015 05:09AM by sharonf88.
Re: Cura and pronterface - Objects off centered (+warp on slic3r)
June 29, 2015 06:54AM
Hi,

In Cura you can create machine definitions. Attached is a screeshot of my Mendel90 definition (it is taken from Cura-14.12.1 but later versions are similar).

Printing objects one-at-a-time on the Mendel90 is not very practical due to the cooling fan shroud which gets in the way. You are better printing all objects at the same time and making adjustments to reduce any stringing.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2015 06:56AM by neildarlow.

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
June 30, 2015 03:13AM
Hi Neil,
Tried cura gain with your settings to slice, uploaded to pronterface and when i start the print the extruder goes into place but just stays there doing nothinh.
The temp. graph on pronterface shows room temp on both bed and extruder instead of warming up.
Something with the start end gcode on cura perhaps?

Also, How can i rotate models on Sic3r? That's the main reason i want to use Cura.

start:

;Basic settings: Layer height: {layer_height} Walls: {wall_thickness} Fill: {fill_density}
;Print time: {print_time}
;Filament used: {filament_amount}m {filament_weight}g
;Filament cost: {filament_cost}
G21 ; metric values
G90 ; absolute positioning
M83 ; set extruder to relative mode
G92 E0 ; zero the extruded length
M107 ; start with the fan off
G28 ; home all axes
G1 X0 Y98 F6000 ; go to the middle of the front
G1 Z0.05 ; close to the bed
M104 S{print_temperature} ; set extruder temp
M190 S{print_bed_temperature} ; set bed temp & wait
M109 S{print_temperature} ; wait for extruder temp
G1 X50 E5 F200 ; make a thick line to prime extruder
G1 E-1 F1200 ; retract a little
G1 Z0.3 ; lift Z
M82 ; set extruder to absolute mode
G92 E0 ; zero the extruded length again

end:

M104 S0 ; turn off extruder
M140 S0 ; bed off
M107 ; carriage fan off
M83 ; set extruder to relative mode
G92 E0 ; zero the extruded length
G1 E-1 F1200 ; extra retract
;G1 X-100 Y100 F6000 ; go to back
;M42 P28 S255 ; bed fan on
G1 Z200 X-100 F6000 ; go to top
;G4 P300000
;M42 P28 S0 ; bed fan off
G1 Y-100 ; bed to front
M84 ; disable motors
;{profile_string}

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2015 05:26AM by sharonf88.
June 30, 2015 06:16AM
Hi,

The Cura start GCode takes the extruder and bed temperatures from the profile. If you have not set them they will default to 0 and no heating will be applied.

Rotating objects in Slic3r is done on the plater. You can drop objects and use the buttons on the right to rotate, mirror and scale etc. You might need to put Slic3r into Expert Mode but I'm not sure about that (I always run in Expert Mode).

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login