Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ptfe tubing pulled inside the wades block

Posted by joedassin 
ptfe tubing pulled inside the wades block
August 18, 2014 12:52PM
Hello all,

I have experienced a new issue recently : the ptfe tubing is getting pulled by the extruder inside the hole of the wades block. So it is getting damaged, and then the pla is stucked by the deformation of the tubing :

I have tried to cut the end of the tubing to have it clean. But after a while it occured again.

Does anyone have any idea of the cause ? Or any solution ?

Thanks !
Re: ptfe tubing pulled inside the wades block
August 18, 2014 01:45PM
Hi,

you could use something like a stopper. I made a quick thing in tinkercad: [www.youmagine.com]

I did not print it yet, but it should work. Maybe you need to drill out the hole for the filament a bid and adjust the size of the tubing with sticky tape.

let me now if it worked out for you.

Edit: To be on the safe side: print a few in one run. Since it's a fairly small part it could use some time to cool between each layer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2014 02:14PM by laubraupe.
August 18, 2014 03:30PM
The reason it happens is because it must need more force to pull the filament off the reel than the tube can withstand. Is it tightly wound coil?

A printed ferrule should should fix it.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 19, 2014 07:31AM
I had that a few times too. On all occurrences the reason was badly spooled filament. Spooled by me since Faberdashery doesn't spool it.

So I did a cut of the tubing (a few times ...) and from time to time I'm looking for a spare tube - with no luck so far. I can't find tubes with the same measurements. :-(

MfG / Regards

Stefan

Blog / Gallery / Wiki / Mendel90 kit since Sep 2013 from Nophead / Original Prusa I3 MK3 since Feb 2018 /
OpenScad Workshop: Kursdateien
Octoprint Patron since April 2016
August 19, 2014 07:52AM
@bastard : I suppose you are from germany, so you can order a spool of ptfe tubing with 3mm - 4mm inner diameter right here: [www.buerkle.de]
August 19, 2014 08:00AM
@laubraupe:

Yes I am.

The bom.txt says "PTFE tubing OD 4.6mm ID 3.84mm x 750mm" and exactly this measurements are not available.

Sorry.

MfG / Regards

Stefan

Blog / Gallery / Wiki / Mendel90 kit since Sep 2013 from Nophead / Original Prusa I3 MK3 since Feb 2018 /
OpenScad Workshop: Kursdateien
Octoprint Patron since April 2016
August 19, 2014 08:28AM
@bastard : alright...the german precision....should have known that as a german winking smiley I found a reseller in the UK: [www.hilltop-products.co.uk]
but for germany it looks indeed quite complicated. even distributors like farnell only have tubings with 3.76 or 3.93mm available, but would it really make a difference? I think since this is not really a bowden extruder and the filament diameter can vary anyways something like 3.76 or 3.93 will do just fine. [de.farnell.com]
August 25, 2014 01:55PM
Thanks to all of you for your feedback.

I have printed a part similar to this one : [www.thingiverse.com]

And the problem seems to be solved.

You were right Nophead, I also had a winding issue, because later on another part was not finished because the filament was stucked on the spool.

I have not found any other solution than checking it every 10 minutes to make sure everything was well...
November 12, 2015 07:00PM
Hardly worth bringing an old thread back, but I had this problem at one point and used an extra washer from the kit. Just run the filament through the tubing, the washer and into the extruder.
November 13, 2015 03:08AM
See here.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
November 13, 2015 05:11AM
I use 4 x 6 mm. A common size in germany.
That is only 0.15mm wider. And the thicker outside is even better as it is much more stable and there is no way that it can slip in the wades block.
I got mine from here: [www.ebay.de]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login