Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X Axis 8mm Brass Nut

Posted by liquidnyquiz 
X Axis 8mm Brass Nut
July 11, 2014 09:49PM
I have the 8mm hex brass nut, however, it does not require pressure to go in. Is almost like the hex cutout is to big. When I place the nut in, it goes right through and out the other side. Any ideas? Any rigs out there?
Re: X Axis 8mm Brass Nut
July 12, 2014 02:42PM
The nut fits in the top of the end. The hole at the bottom is 1mm bigger to allow it to pass through easily.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
July 13, 2014 12:00AM
Here is what I mean, it doesn't stay. Goes right through.
Attachments:
open | download - 20140712_093315.jpg (589 KB)
July 13, 2014 04:30AM
nophead
The nut fits in the top of the end. The hole at the bottom is 1mm bigger to allow it to pass through easily.

From [hydraraptor.blogspot.co.uk]

The nut trap for the lead screw is now at the top (don't be fooled by the hexagonal hole at the bottom, that is just clearance to allow the nut to be fitted to the leadscrew first). This greatly increases the distance of the nut from the Z coupling when the Z axis is at the bottom. When the nut was at the bottom it got to within about 10mm so any eccentricity was magnified by about 20 at the top of the leadscrew.

Because holes can't be printed in mid air there are one layer thick support membranes at the bottom and the top of the nut trap. This creates a completely enclosed void which revealed a bug in OpenScad. It generates an STL with the internal faces facing the wrong way, i.e. outwards instead of inwards. Fortunately Skeinforge does not care and slices it correctly but Slic3r doesn't.

July 13, 2014 08:52PM
Thank you. Honestly I just have a hard time finding the information on your blog. I'm not a blog person sad smiley

And my last question is, what prevents the nut from rotation if it doesn't sit inside a hex? I assume the weight of the X axis is what holds the nut steady as the threaded rod spins?
July 14, 2014 07:28AM
The nut fits in the hexagonal nut trap at the top so it can't spin.

There are single layer support membranes above and below the nut trap that have to be cut out with a knife. Due to the bug in OpenScad if you slice it with anything other than skeinforge the nut trap gets filled in solid and the part is useless.

July 14, 2014 07:35AM
Yup I used slic3r. No wonder. Is ok I can use a square nut for a perfect fit.
July 15, 2014 01:17PM
Wow I just started googling "brass nut mendel90" because I was trying to figure out if the brass nut was somehow bigger than 13mm wide and I just couldn't source the right piece. Well it turns out I also sliced my parts with slic3r!

Guess I have to reprint 4 parts now (I was the majority way done with 2 printers), but good to know where my problem was!
August 09, 2014 07:21PM
This .. is truly .. frustrating. I built a Mendel 90 MDF using the original parts and decided to rebuild the X and Z with the newer parts. I have the same issue with the X ends, and I have not used Skeinforge in so long I don't really want to deal with it. Do you know if Cura slices OK?
August 10, 2014 09:43AM
Yes I think Cura gets it right, at least the old version I have seems to.

August 10, 2014 04:11PM
I just sliced in cura .. ran the toolpath .. no nut trap. What version of Cura worked for you?
August 10, 2014 06:29PM
August 12, 2014 01:02PM
Very strange .. indeed that version slices appropriately. The newest does not.

I read up on the issue on the OpenScad Git and the issue is closed. Has the fix been implemented?
August 12, 2014 03:48PM
Yes, I sponsored the fix but it hasn't made it to a release yet. You can probably find it in a development snapshot. However, there are lots of other changes that might affect the geometry produced, in particular the 2D CGAL operations have been replaced.

August 16, 2014 03:41PM
As always thanks for your comments and assistance.

To close this thread out, Cura through version 13.11 (and possibly 13.12, but toolpath rendering crashes in that version for some reason) slices the part properly. Versions starting with 14.01 do not work.

An interesting side note about slicing your models, which I know are optimized for Skeinforge, is that both Slic3r and Cura need to be scaled 3-5% larger.

For those reading this thread, please take advantage of Nophead's cal.stl to verify scaling before going all out and printing a complete parts set.
August 17, 2014 12:17AM
For proper slicing of the X-axis ends in Cura disable the "Fix horrible" settings that try to fill in internal holes. They will slice very nice.

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2014 12:17AM by swirvbox.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login