Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Raspberry Pi + Pi Camera addon finished

Posted by bastard 
Raspberry Pi + Pi Camera addon finished
June 29, 2014 11:10AM
Hi there,

this afternoon I finished the assembly of Nophead's addon to the Mendel90 printer. I'm very impressed with it. It is very well constructed.

Of course I use a different LED bar. If you're German, the links to the shop are available via my blog.

Therefore I had to reconstruct the original rpi_light_clamps. Here is what i've done:

I modified the .scad file for that. I'm not sure how to do it better - to allow both my light bar and clamps as well as the original one. It works for me and I'm very satisfied with that.

MfG / Regards

Stefan

Blog / Gallery / Wiki / Mendel90 kit since Sep 2013 from Nophead / Original Prusa I3 MK3 since Feb 2018 /
OpenScad Workshop: Kursdateien
Octoprint Patron since April 2016
Re: Raspberry Pi + Pi Camera addon finished
June 29, 2014 02:01PM
Well done Stefan and thank you for sharing - good to see the photographs and the LED striplight. I found a similar one in the UK rated at 250 lumens, 12V and 300mm long (cool white colour).
How did you get on focussing the PiCam? Any tips? Did you glue on the thumbwheel which Nophead designed and then break the lens seal or did you break the seal first using pliers or something before attaching the "focus ring"?

Alan
June 29, 2014 02:22PM
Hi Alan,

a few months ago I tried to re-focus the camera by adding a 2nd lens. Tough I tried three different lenses I had no luck with my old setup using a gooseneck holder for my camera. So I broke the seal and turned the lens to focus. I used this since November last year.

I did not glue the focus ring onto the camera yet. I'm satisfied for now, but I should check it. What glue would be the best?

MfG / Regards

Stefan

Blog / Gallery / Wiki / Mendel90 kit since Sep 2013 from Nophead / Original Prusa I3 MK3 since Feb 2018 /
June 29, 2014 02:56PM
bastard
....So I broke the seal and turned the lens to focus. I used this since November last year.

I did not glue the focus ring onto the camera yet. I'm satisfied for now, but I should check it. What glue would be the best?

Stefan,
Did you use fine nose pliers to twist the lens carrier on the PiCam? Glue - my success with glue on PLA and ABS has been rather variable over the last few years but I guess that a dab of SuperGlue (CA) would be strong enough in this application ..... maybe not - sorry, I cannot recommend anything!

Alan
June 29, 2014 03:25PM
Hi Alan,

I'm sorry. The only thing I can remember is to be very carefully!

MfG / Regards

Stefan

June 29, 2014 06:51PM
I broke the seal on mine with pliers. It made a right mess of the plastic around the lens. I tried to glue the ring on with CA afterwards but it didn't hold. Possibly it wasn't flat enough. CA never works for me on plastic. It sticks ceramic and fingers!

I have read people have done it with CA though. Also somebody said you could just turn it with a pencil eraser but mine is too stiff.

I think the lens holder is ABS so to stick ABS a small amount of solvent should work. The lens appears to be glass so should not be affected. I haven't tried it yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2014 06:53PM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 30, 2014 12:59AM
Hi,

due to the demand, please find my light clamp attached.

MfG / Regards

Stefan

Attachments:
open | download - my_rpi_light_clamp.stl (151.7 KB)
June 30, 2014 05:34AM
Thank you Stefan and Nophead.
I have read elsewhere that some GoPro owners have used the seal breaking technique to fix focus issues on their action cameras so if they are prepared to have a go with equipment costing £350+, I shouldn't worry about my comparatively low cost PiCam!

I guess I will have to take out my pliers and bite the bullet! Using acetone as an ABS glue for the focus ring sounds sensible so as I have printed these parts using ABS, that will be my first port of call.

Alan
June 30, 2014 06:24AM
The idea is that if you glue the focus ring on first then you can use that to break the seal, avoiding the use of pliers.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 30, 2014 07:22AM
nophead
The idea is that if you glue the focus ring on first then you can use that to break the seal, avoiding the use of pliers.

Ah! (Thought it might have been). Will try that before plier wrenching. Thanks.

Alan
October 06, 2014 03:41PM
the newest raspberry b+ have another anchoring supports. Anyone has shared a bracket for this raspberry board? if not, I'll gladly take the job. smiling bouncing smiley

Mendel90 Kit
December 11, 2014 05:53AM
Hi,

I would like to attach a touch display to the Raspberry. Normally a display sits on top of the Pi and isn't usable at this position behind the gantry. So I spoke to the guys from Watterott at the Make Munich back in November if there is a possibility to have the display a few mm away from the Pi. In my case I would like to have it on the right side of the gantry. The guys had already a few ideas in mind and they promised to check if one of the ideas will work.

Since yesterday the solution is available in their shop. I guess, 150mm flex cable will be enough? I'll give it a try.

To use it, Octopi has already the scripts on board to activate it. The project's name is OctoPiPanel. It works without using X, so it's fast enough for the little Pi.

Left over is only a proper mounting solution. A case and a ball point moveable clamp thing ... don't know yet. We'll see.

MfG / Regards

Stefan

January 03, 2015 09:39AM
Hi,

during the last days I had time to solder the parts together.

I also ordered a 200mm flex cable as a free sample from Würth Elektronik. The order code is 687 640 200 002. As you can see, it is working very well.

Now I'm ready to think about how to mount the display at the side of my Mendel90.

MfG / Regards

Stefan

January 11, 2015 11:46AM
Hi,

I decided to go with a ball joint thing. The 1st part is currently printing:

The grey part acts as a support for the ball. There is a 0.2mm gap between the ball and the support. The red part is where the display gets screwed to the bracket with M2.5 screws. It has to be 2mm high because there are 2 flex cable connectors on the bottom side.

Attached is the zipped .stl file if you want to print it.

I'll release all the files together when I'm finished at Youmagine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2015 11:48AM by bastard.

MfG / Regards

Stefan

Attachments:
open | download - raspberry_display_bracket.zip (206.7 KB)
January 18, 2015 07:45AM
Hi!

I'm almost finished:

The joint is strong enough to hold the weight and allows to rotate the display to be readable at almost any angle. I'm very satisfied with my solution.

MfG / Regards

Stefan

January 20, 2015 05:56AM
floville
the newest raspberry b+ have another anchoring supports. Anyone has shared a bracket for this raspberry board? if not, I'll gladly take the job. smiling bouncing smiley

I've uploaded one to [www.thingiverse.com]
January 20, 2015 08:56AM
Great job, but now I have downgrade to older raspberry b, because b+ works unstable (no or broken connection to printer, stuttering webcam, crashed delta-effector into heatbed or other grave errors). I don´t know why, but I can exclude bad octopi-image, power supply, usb cable, network. All works fine with the older raspberry b.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login