Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PTFE Feed Tube Ferrule

Posted by neildarlow 
PTFE Feed Tube Ferrule
October 31, 2013 06:20PM
Hi,

I recall the subject of protecting the PTFE Feed Tube end came up in an earlier thread.

Wanting to try a challenging print (in this case a small one) I took a look at this and, having produced a pleasing result, I thought I would share it.

I sliced with the following Skeinforge settings:

Profile - Nophead's PLA0.2
Extra Shells - 0
Comb - Off
Cooling - Fan On at Start of print
Multiply - Rows: 2, Columns: 2

You need to print several of these at once on untreated glass (which must be really clean) or they will lift.

Attached are FreeCAD and OpenSCAD design files.

FreeCAD file
OpenSCAD file

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
Re: PTFE Feed Tube Ferrule
November 20, 2013 10:31PM
My kit came with a ferrule, but I made the mistake of drilling it out (for some reason). Looking over the printed parts in the latest Mendel90 version, I didn't see the ferrule anywhere, so I printed this one off. It printed and works fine.

I doubt that the need to modify the part will ever consume me, but if it were, I'd beef it up a bit, taller and thicker, so that I could integrate a curved flare where the PTFE tube enters. The idea being to spread the strain over a larger area...and make it easier to insert the PTFE tube. It was a tight fit.
November 21, 2013 02:43AM
The PTFE tubing must vary in diameter. Mine permits the ferrule to fall off when the filament is removed. It is probably a good idea to measure your tube diameter and adjust the OpenSCAD parameters before printing. Tolerances are something I need to work on (I am not really a mechanical engineer).

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
November 23, 2013 05:33PM
I think the tight fit may be more because holes are printed small with my printer and the Skeinforge settings I've been using. In any case, the tight fit is a good thing...now that inserting the feed tube is behind me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login