Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Maximum Hotend Temperature

Posted by threedyprinter 
Maximum Hotend Temperature
July 07, 2013 09:09AM
I want to print nylon at the recommended 245C.

It's extremely close to the temperature at which peek softens (248C).

So far, the max. I've dared to try is 240C; am I OK to go higher?

Is there a recommended alternative head that gives the same performance at higher temperatures?
Re: Maximum Hotend Temperature
July 07, 2013 01:02PM
PEEK doesn't soften at 248C in my experience. I regularly extrude the first layer of ABS at 255C and the rest of the object at 250C. Under those conditions it the PTFE liner that eventually fails after many months of 24/7 use.

For higher temps, such as needed for polycarbonate, I would recommend the E3D hot end. I haven't tried it myself yet but it looks well made and the design make sense.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
July 08, 2013 05:07AM
Thanks Chris. I shall try 245C this pm.

The E3D is rather tempting; I could add nozzle size to the already unmanageable number of parameter tweaks required to get a good print!
July 08, 2013 10:31AM
If you use Skeinforge you will see nozzle size does not appear in any of the many settings!

July 08, 2013 12:37PM
I did try SF briefly but it seems development has stopped and the site is down (or was for the last few weeks). Slic3r for me now! - especially as I've just hacked some code to allow me to do different things at different print heights using custom output from Slic3r.
July 08, 2013 01:32PM
Anyone tried the prusa's all metal hotend?
Should work too...

cheers,
Jaka
July 08, 2013 06:25PM
If you look at the forum thread for it a lot of people can't get it to work. Heat flows up the stainless steel and gives a long transition zone plug which then needs a lot of force to push. There is a critical length determined by the coefficient of friction where it will jam solid if the transition zone is longer than it. That is why PTFE based hot ends can have long transition zones and metal ones need short transition zones.

mcp
July 09, 2013 05:15PM
Hi,
I would like to recommend the reprap-fab.org V3 Hotend. Quite reliable and all-metal. Will last up to the thermistor maximum temperature and does not increase but decrese the melting temperature for the filament. Also I never had any Jams so far, just really great stuff. Even if expensive, very good support by Stoffel15 and it comes with two noozles, 0.5 and 0.35

Just ordered a E3D one to compare ;-) But alread have 2 V3 running fine. Even simple to maintain, had some metal flakes last weekend in the noozle, likely from the Extruder screw...

cu

Michael
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login