Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Isolation Milling?

Posted by conscripted 
Isolation Milling?
August 24, 2012 01:17PM
Is the sturdy variant of the Mendel90 sturdy enough to do occasional pcb milling? I would replace the printhead with something like this. This will be my first 3d printer and I'm trying to think ahead a little bit.

Thanks
Conscripted
Re: Isolation Milling?
August 24, 2012 02:49PM
I don't know. I haven't tried milling on a machine with belt drive yet. I think you would want a faster spindle though. A) because small bits need faster speeds and cool smiley because I think it mitigates the lack of stiffness that belts give. I think commercial PCB mills run at 50K+ RPM.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 24, 2012 10:02PM
That also seems to be an expensive spindle for what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2012 10:03PM by NewPerfection.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
August 26, 2012 09:47AM
It probably is expensive for what it is. I've read that the amount of play in the bit can cause issues when you are milling such a small area. That spindle seemed to indicate that it had very little. I know a dremel would be much cheaper but I've read mixed results about whether it will actually work or not. I'll play around with it after I get my mendel90 built. It's going to take me several months.

Conscripted
VDX
August 27, 2012 04:36AM
... the 'shaft'-length from the last bearing to the mill-bit is way to ling to give enough stability - better look for a spindle, where the chuck is embedded directly in the motor shaft ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
August 27, 2012 09:01AM
VDX Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... the 'shaft'-length from the last bearing to
> the mill-bit is way to ling to give enough
> stability - better look for a spindle, where the
> chuck is embedded directly in the motor shaft ...

Thanks for the advise. I'll keep it in mind.

Conscripted
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login