Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Huxley to FoldaRap Build Progress

Posted by NathanSB 
Huxley to FoldaRap Build Progress
August 28, 2014 06:23AM
Hi there everyone,

I am a little late in starting this topic but I thought I would begin documenting my build progress.

I am converting my RRP Huxley to the FoldaRap. I will add pictures once I get the chance. Currently I pretty much have the mechanical build done and I have messily wired up the motors and end stops just to get the machine working. I am planning on using RAMPS 1.4. The machine will have a heated bed, single extruder (sounds pretty tame..) but I am also going to utilise a 12v blower fan (the 12v version of the fan used by the Replicator 2). Which I am hoping will be great. smiling smiley Need to get my printer working again to print the upgrade.. but it will be the first thing I design and add. :p

The main problem I am having at the moment is the PSU I have. I bought a 12v 400W supply so that I can potentially upgrade to dual extrusion and also add lighting strips to the machine. The PSU does not fit to the attachment holes in the laser cut under-plate ( 3.00mm MDF) and I am a little hesitant to start drilling holes in the plate.

I also need to design a Y carriage adapter to re-purpose the PCB heated bed from my Huxley.

Pictures to follow..

Thanks for reading and have a great day guys.

Nathan
Re: Huxley to FoldaRap Build Progress
August 28, 2014 09:18AM
Ok so update as promised with some photos.

They are a little crude but will do for now. smiling smiley
Attachments:
open | download - 2014-08-28 13.44.11_Resized.jpg (256.7 KB)
open | download - 2014-08-28 13.44.17_Resized.jpg (238 KB)
open | download - 2014-08-28 13.44.23_Resized.jpg (262.4 KB)
open | download - 2014-08-28 13.44.28_Resized.jpg (232.3 KB)
August 30, 2014 03:55PM
Ok, so everything works, I can set off prints and manually control everything from the LCD encoder display (or Repetier), however I am having a huge problem with over extrusion. I currently have my E steps set to 260.11 but I am still getting a massive amount of over extrusion and I cannot get it to extrude sensible amounts of filament.

I am using a Nema17 motor for my extruder and the trim pot on the pololu driver is set to 0.9v as the VRef. I have also tried reducing the extrusion multiplier to 0.4 in Repetier/Slic3r settings.

Does anyone know why this may be the case?

I am using Marlin on Ramps 1.4.

Nathan
September 05, 2014 05:51AM
So the build is finished and the electronics now work and the printer moves!

However I am having trouble getting printer to print properly. Straight lines are.. Passable..

Circles however.. are very poor. I have attached a picture of a printed 20mm calibration cube and then a circular z-axis limiter I have tried printing which is simply not circular.

I have ensured the Z-axis extrusions are parallel and the steps are set to the point where the 20mm cube is 19.98mm on one side and 20.08mm on the other (which I am happy with) but circles just fail miserably.

I would love some help with this..
Attachments:
open | download - RepRap_Forum_Calibration.jpg (90.6 KB)
September 05, 2014 06:36AM
Hi,

Your circle has flat areas in the X direction.
This issue is probably due to excessive friction on the Y axis.
Check it by hand, it should move smoothly without effort.
Maybe the belt is tightened too hard... or the flat bars are not layed out parallel...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login