Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nozzle leaking

Posted by Thiasma 
Nozzle leaking
April 11, 2014 03:58AM
Hello Everyone,

I just started the printing test of my brand new Foldarap (I don't remember my n° but I will search it soon) and I realized that a small amount of blackish plastic (I use natural coloured PLA) is leaking from the thread of the nozzle and the barrel.

I remember tighting the nozzle and barrel quite strongly but I guess it does not prevent the leakage, the problem is now the plastic block the threads when cold.
Anyone had a similar problem ? I don't believe it will prevent me from printing but it might stain the natural PLA.

I did not have time to take pictures yesterday but I will soon.
Re: Nozzle leaking
April 11, 2014 08:27AM
I had a similar leakage issue due to low quality parts (I sourced my own and build my Foldarap from the plans, rather than buying a kit - I think I used a chinese supplier for the nozzle and regretted it) but I managed to alleviate it by wrapping plumbers PTFE tape around the threads (barrel and nozzle) before nipping it up. I also found that the outer surface of the heater block may encourage oxidisation of the plastic, leading to it taking on a burnt appearance - I don't think this will contaminate the print unless the buildup is excessive
April 11, 2014 12:31PM
I am using the kit nozzle but I don't think it will ruin the print either, if I stay near the printer I can swip the drop it before it falls of the nozzle.
April 11, 2014 04:18PM
In the video tutorial, Emmanuel did wrap some ptfe tape arround the thread.
I also did it and I don't have leaks
Also he recommand to tighten the nozzle while it's been heated to 200°c maybe it has something to do with this?
May 03, 2014 11:53AM
Hi Laurent,

When you say "around the thread", are you talking about this first picture or the second one ?

I did put back the PTFE tube inside the barrel as in the first picture but the leaking as not stopped. I managed to print two parts, the first one was great, the second presented some issues at the end on the plastic feeding and I realized that the PTFE tube was ejected from the "push fit" (pneumatic fitting).

About the second picture, I have a red seringue with a white-ish paste in it and I guess it is the stuff to put around the thread (correct me if I'm wrong ^^). Will I be able to unscrew the barrel after doing this ?

I fear I clogged my hot end components with PLA, I will try to use hot air gun and hope for the next best results.
May 12, 2014 05:06AM
Hi
I'm talking about this :
[youtu.be]

He just put ptfe tape arround the threads
It may not be needed anymore but it sure isn't a bad thing
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login