Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hotend Problems

Posted by tyler_waite 
Hotend Problems
March 07, 2014 09:18PM
Hello all,

I'm really excited to get my Foldarap going. Per the kit from Goteo, I have almost everything working. I'm having major problems with the hotend, though. I have been trying on and off for weeks and I can't seem to figure it out. Everything, per my knowledge, is assembled correctly. I have tried to clean out the filament multiple times, and usually it successfully extrudes for about 10 seconds, but then it clogs again and the extruder skips on the gear. I also remember taking out the small PFTE tube inside of the cold-end, and that may be my problem. I know I can find it online, but what size should I buy? Does anyone have any ideas as to what's wrong? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2014 09:35PM by tyler_waite.
Re: Hotend Problems
March 10, 2014 08:03PM

I also remember taking out the small PFTE tube inside of the cold-end, and that may be my problem.

That seems likely to be the issue. Removing it might have left room for the plastic to expand while heating, clogging it.
April 09, 2014 06:53AM
I have a similar issue - I've used an all metal hot end, however I fabricated parts myself, it doesn't seem to like any non-smoothness in the routing of filament, and mine would bind up after a few minutes printing - weird really, as when I first assembled it, I did spend some hours calibrating without any issue, and i think the problem developed after some time.

I've now switched to the E3D all metal hotend to try and improve this
April 09, 2014 10:40AM
Hi
I have some cloging on my goteo kit too.
It clog after some times, and the stepper skipped.
I cleaned the nozzle with a hot air gun and it unclog it
But I think it does'nt extrude very well.

I'll try to document my issue more went i'll have more time
May 03, 2014 11:42AM
Hi,
Did you found a solution about your clogging problem ?
I managed to print two parts, the first one was great, the second presented some issues at the end on the plastic feeding and I realized that the PTFE tube was ejected from the "push fit" (pneumatic fitting). I fear I have to clean the hot end after every printing...
May 04, 2014 07:08AM
hi !
For the PTFE tubing, is it the same as the bowden tube ?

For me it appear that the plastic didn't flow right :

it made some bubble and sometime clog completly.

So I decided to use a thin metal string to unclog it
I used a single thread on a bicycle cable (approximatively 0.25mm)
Strangely I had to use soe force to succes (I don't remember which size the nozzle is supose to be)
immediately it start flowing right !
I also increase the general speed as it appears to extrude better at a higher speed.

May 16, 2014 07:11AM
Hello,

The nozzle is 0,3 mm, regarding the clogging problem I have attached a small piece of cloth held by a clamp just before the extruder motor in order to remove all all the particles on the wire and...it seems to be working, I have no clogging since one month (I had a lot before)... so maybe something to try..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login