Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Another Foldarap

Posted by majic79 
Another Foldarap
November 12, 2013 04:23AM
Hi, I just thought I'd share my build

I've recently acquired an interest in 3D printing (when a friend of mine brought his delta round to me to repair his controller board after he blew up a MOSFET) and after some research, decide that the Foldarap is the one for me. I've sourced all the parts myself (using the BOM from the wiki site) and used a lower cost 250W LED strip light power supply (12V) to drive it. As I've a fair bit of experience with electronics, I've etched my own Gen7 based control board (plan to mount it on the side of the printer where there's just enough room for it) and plan to be running marlin firmware on it. I've decided to mount the Z endstop at the top (rather than at the bottom) and the first print will likely be a bracket to mount the Y-endstop in the same manner as the Mendels (after calibration of course!)

Next up I'm etching a heatbed on a piece of FR4 single sided (50W) that I'll insulate with Kapton and put a glass surface above it to print to. The attached image shows the status of the machine before the weekend, I've since tidied up the cabling with spiral wrap and been trying to get all the motion working with the marlin firmware

Many thanks to Emmanuel for designing this, it's awed a few of my friends and one chap would like to borrow it for exhibitions (as it's a bit more portable than his Prusa!)

Re: Another Foldarap
November 13, 2013 03:45AM
And last night I debugged my Gen7 electronics controller board and have it working in all four axis (X, Y, Z and Extruder), it homes correctly as well, so now I have to figure out the print volume and calibrate correctly - I'm wondering how much microstep I should run on the controllers to give good resolution and acceptable speeds, or if I should switch to an ATX power supply (as I have a few of those available) as I wonder if the power supply is suffering when it tries to drive everything (supposed to be good for 250W and I don't think I'm putting more than half of that load on it)

November 13, 2013 02:49PM
Nice build, thanks for sharing !

250W should be enough, a friend is running a big MK2 pcb with a cheap 120W on a FoldaRap-Mendel, even while his last print took 13hrs ^^
[balx.tumblr.com]

BTW where are you based ? Just to add you on the map : [goo.gl] winking smiley

about // liberapay // flickr // wiki // thingiverse - github
November 13, 2013 06:39PM
Lincoln, United Kingdom - I didn't even know there was a map!

Been doing my calcs, and I think I'm only running around 60W at the moment, the heated bed will add another ~45W or thereabouts (I'm doing my own PCB heatbed sized at 140x140mm so it fits the foldarap perfectly) Seen your designs for Foldarap2 - looks very interesting!
November 17, 2013 05:50PM
Well, this weekend I made the headbed

Then had a go at a basic calibration print (been using this as a dry run test beforehand, so I've learnt the basics of the .stl->slice->print toolchain)

Thought it looked pretty good, so did a test run (happy with it!)

I did notice some oozing around the joints in the hot end when I did a longer run, so I've had some tweaking to do. Seriously considering printing a holder for a J-Head or similar and running one of those
I did a little more calibration of the software and improved the output a bit

And just finished running through one spool holder base (just fits the print bed!)

All in ABS (all the plastic parts were printed in ABS by a friend with a couple of Prusa's)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login