Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Caged Bird! Entry close on Sunday 14th of April

Posted by IceMan 
Caged Bird! Entry close on Sunday 14th of April
March 26, 2013 09:23AM
Hi,

I printed this bird in a cage pendant by Katharos the other day and my wife and daughters loved it!

( I will add some photos later)

This is one of those objects that gives you "permission" to spend time with your printer, so I thought it would be useful in a competition.

The file is here:
[www.thingiverse.com]

And I thought everyone who participate could judge as well., by giving points 1,2 or 3 for the best 3 entries and maybe a small description of why. (Hopefully we do get at least 3 entries smiling smiley )
After entry closes, participants posts their points and hopefully we have a winner.
The one with most points at the end wins.

I have printed this in normal size and also at 400% scale.
In this competition I was thinking maybe scale it up a little, let say around 150%. But I think any size can enter.
My 400% took around 8hrs, so that's a bit too long for my liking.

You can print it in one go, or you can try to print it in 2 sessions where the bird may have a different colour.
and glue them together. But, only 1 extruder to be used. To make it a fair playing field.
What I would like to see is just a nice good quality print!

The time frame, how about Sunday the 14th of April is last day to enter. That gives you 2 weeks and a bit.

Happy printing!

Cheers
Jan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2013 02:13AM by IceMan.
Re: Caged Bird! Entry close on Sunday 14th of April
March 28, 2013 04:29PM
There goes the Bank Holiday weekend! I'll have a go at this.... smiling smiley
March 29, 2013 09:09AM
Here's a photo of the 2 prints I did.
Pretty average prints but popular....got requests for 3 more... smiling smiley

======================================
[3dprinting4u.wordpress.com]
Attachments:
open | download - birdincage1.jpg (313.6 KB)
March 30, 2013 04:55PM
Here's my try. Printed at 150% and 0.2mm layers.
Attachments:
open | download - img_DSC_3952_01.jpg (131.7 KB)
April 04, 2013 04:19PM
Right, got the printer running again after a thermistor blip! My first attempt is below. I had to print at 200% to get the cage bars to slice. I'm still new to this so I need a bit more practice with small stuff! I will try again with different filament and settings. Oh, and you're right about being allowed to spend time with the printer, as long as these birdcages are 'for her' I can mess about with it as much as I want! grinning smiley

April 06, 2013 01:59AM
I found this one quite tricky. The thin posts were prone to breaking (even with 0.2 mm of Z lift) and the top melted without a double fan blowing on the Huxley. My Mendel90 has been out of action after an upgrade to the fan duct was immediately followed by a total power supply failure. Anyway, it's all back in in working order now with a better cooling fan, and just in time to have one final try for the competition.
Not my best print ever but at least I finished one in time.
ABS; 0.5 mm nozzle; 0.2 mm layer height; 200% scaling.

richgain
April 06, 2013 08:09AM
Richgain, that looks pretty good to me! The bird looks really shiny too, did you do any cleanup or anything to it?
April 06, 2013 12:55PM
Just a little acetone vapour bird-bath! smiling smiley
April 08, 2013 04:05PM
Fresh off the printer - no finishing. 33mm tall (123%)
0.2mm layers using 0.5mm nozzle. I think I will try another with 0.1mm layers, but I wanted to make sure I didn't forget to enter!!

April 14, 2013 05:00PM
Ok, just managed to get one more in smiling smiley

April 14, 2013 07:44PM
Ok, let's give some points.
Nothing too serious.
The one with the highest score "wins" bragging rights

My 3 point goes to Richgain for his "Black bird in the cage". I liked the quality of the cage all over, very nice print in my opinion.
My 2 points goes to Konwiddak for his "IceBird in the Cage". Again I thought the cage came out pretty well.
My 1 point goes to 3ddude for his "Pink Bird in the Cage".
Restcrew's black cage and bird was not too bad either. Think some cooling may have improved the bars a bit.

Cheers
Jan
April 16, 2013 09:02AM
Woo, one point! I'll take that with thanks smiling bouncing smiley

Thanks to Iceman for taking the time to arrange and see the challenge through thumbs up
April 16, 2013 09:32AM
3ddude Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Woo, one point! I'll take that with thanks smiling bouncing smiley
>
> Thanks to Iceman for taking the time to arrange
> and see the challenge through thumbs up

You're welcome,
Just wanted to say thanks to creators such as Katharos for designing and putting up objects for all of us to print.
Without you I think many printers would be collecting dust.

Regards
Jan
April 20, 2013 02:26AM
Hi Jan

Thanks so much for your appreciation, and for another great challenge. I've only just got back home from working away all week so I'm looking forward to doing a bit of printing this weekend. Credit, as usual, goes to nophead for designing such a solid, reliable machine, but I'll take the bragging rights for the build and setting up - there's always more things to improve! I've just bought one of the new E3D-V4 nozzles to replace my old one which now has ABS completely jammed in the PEEK, so I'm looking forward to even better quality prints.
If I can find some extra time I'll try and set up a new challenge soon.

Cheers
richgain
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login