Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

smallest tube - 22 NOV - 6 DEC

Posted by rogerw 
smallest tube - 22 NOV - 6 DEC
November 21, 2012 07:23PM
hi all,
was printing a tall tube (OD 12.7, ID 9) for a part i needed and thought it
would be good challenge to see the smallest diameter tube we could print.
ie. tall and skinny might fall or be pulled over or melt
sorry no prises just the challenge.
so has to be 95mm high (thats as high as i can go - i want to print some too)
has to be min 0.4 dia nozzle
PLA
has to be hollow - like a needle
wide brim at bottom allowed - max height 2 layers
i assume will be just 1 layer around - very tight
hope these parameters are ok as i would like to learn some setting from the pros.
please indicate if they are not or any more should be added,
cheers,
roger.

PS if it turns out easy to do then will be the fastest

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2012 12:29AM by rogerw.

Prusa 'Explorer' (3dStuffMaker), GEN6, J-head Mk III-B, Bowden Extruder, Marlin 1.0.0 RC2, Repitier-Host V0.84 and Slic3r 0.9.8, PLA. Live at Victoria, Australia.
Re: smallest tube - 22 NOV - 6 DEC
November 22, 2012 07:11AM
'C' is the original part I was making OD 12.7 ID 9 (with my first reprap hole)
halved that for
'B' OD 6.35 ID 4
and then
'A' the staligmite failed to be hollow but stood tall at OD 3.175 ID 2mm
roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2012 07:12AM by rogerw.

Prusa 'Explorer' (3dStuffMaker), GEN6, J-head Mk III-B, Bowden Extruder, Marlin 1.0.0 RC2, Repitier-Host V0.84 and Slic3r 0.9.8, PLA. Live at Victoria, Australia.
Attachments:
open | download - comp.jpg (112 KB)
VDX
November 22, 2012 07:23AM
... is 'cheating' allowed?

The smallest possible tube with a FDM-head will consist of two parallel strands, one above the other, with a thin steel wire placed on the first before printing the second ... then pull the wire and you'll get the tube grinning smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
November 22, 2012 04:39PM
VDX - was really thinking of printing vertically - but would still love to see the results of your cheating if you have time.
rogerw
PS. do people sometimes put things into a print as it is going eg. embed a nut? or add some support structure

November 23, 2012 04:53AM
rogerw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> PS. do people sometimes put things into a print as
> it is going eg. embed a nut? or add some support
> structure

Yes, I have added plastic balls to hollow objects (to make them rattle) trapped nuts to parts and safety pins to badges as they print, all good fun, just watch out for the hot bit!

When printing this model I also tend to use a cardboard ring with Kapton on the top, that way you don't need to use support and the cardboard ring just peals away leaving perfect bearing balls. you just need to insert it right before it starts to print the first layer of the balls.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
November 23, 2012 07:31AM
thanks richrap,
im printing a part right now which has a 2mm rebate on the bottom . i used support but the support lines were starting to loose their grip on the bed. not sure what it will look like. i think i will lay in the 2mm shape (a hex) with kapton on top - love that idea.
thank you
roger

November 23, 2012 05:12PM
richrap, am going to try to add the cardboard/kapton inseert in for my bridging. i asume i do a pause at the correct layer (just before bridging).
am bit worried that when i pause it will melt a hole whereever it is the nozzle stops - is this a big concern - is there a way around it. should i add some thing in the gcode to say move the nozzle away then then do a pause??
thanks
roger.

November 24, 2012 07:39AM
richrap, i just had a play with another part, did a pause wihile printing amd then said x home which took the hotend away and then when i did resume it when back again
roger,

November 24, 2012 01:39PM
Great Stuff.

I have not done it for a while, but I used to cut my Gcode up into two files, just where the insert needs to be made. But pause and home also works well.

Cheers

Rich.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
December 05, 2012 08:08AM
hi roger what is Repitier-Host V0.82b and Slic3r 0.9.7, PLA and do your printer print seramic
December 05, 2012 04:53PM
hello
repitier is a higher level program to help you run your prints.
it can connect to your printer and let you move the nozzle around and squeeze out some plastic.
when you are ready to print your object
it allows you to call another program (SLIC3R) to slice your model up into horz slices.
PLA is the type of plastic that i print with.
I do not print ceramic but some other people might know if this is possible.
roger

December 05, 2012 04:54PM
hey i win - obviously to easy for u guys. will pick a hard one next time smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login