Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Belt Driver Tantillus

Posted by stratmaster458 
Belt Driver Tantillus
April 13, 2015 01:30AM
I've been wanting to build a tantillus with my girlfriend for a while. I want to build goopyplastic's variant with belts. Does anyone know what kind of belts the folks that are running belt driven tantillus' are running? I haven't been able to find out what tooth count GT2/MXL belts people are using and whether the pulleys are MXL or GT2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2015 01:31AM by stratmaster458.
Re: Belt Driver Tantillus
April 14, 2016 02:04PM
stratmaster458
I've been wanting to build a tantillus with my girlfriend for a while. I want to build goopyplastic's variant with belts. Does anyone know what kind of belts the folks that are running belt driven tantillus' are running? I haven't been able to find out what tooth count GT2/MXL belts people are using and whether the pulleys are MXL or GT2.
Have you seen my Ultius build? All files and Esplanadens are freelance available on thingiverse. Using GT2 belts and pulleys.

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
My Designs on Thingiverse
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
Ultius / Tantillus Thingiverse Group
May 02, 2016 12:54AM
Hi,

I just recently updated my Tantillus to belt driver. The belts are GT2 2mm pitch, closed loop with length of 240 mm that I bought form AliExpress. I think you can run belt length from 240 - 300 mm, depending upon your pulleys' size/teeth. My pulleys are printed ones: 80 teeth for the upper and 40 teeth for the motor. The length of the belts is just fit with small space/tolerance to install it. I should have ordered longer ones, probably 260 mm. With these pulleys, the gear ratio is too wide which makes step per mm for X Y are just too much, moreover my steppers are 0.9 deg/step. So need to change my microstep to 1/4, this gives step per mm around 120.

My first attempt was motor pulley slip after few hours of print. The grub scews holding the motor shaft getting loose and need re-tightened. Second ran also slip, so I change the nut holding the screws to lock nut. Now, it is flawless. I test some fine detail prints with 0.1 mm layer, ran for 12 hours and results are very smooth and no skipping at all. So I recommend to just using lock nut instead just normal nut for both motor and axis shafts.

For the pulleys, I found OpenScad script on Thingiverse, you can just create your own by simply changing its parameters. (I attach it anyway). I also generate some motor and upper pulleys here.
Next thing is I want to change the motor - upper gear ratio to 5:6 and increase microstep.

Some pictures:

Attachments:
open | download - pulleys.scad (23.8 KB)
open | download - motor_pulleys.zip (180.5 KB)
open | download - upper_pulleys.zip (527.9 KB)
May 02, 2016 03:25AM
Nice setup :-)

I'm using 36-GT2 on XY axes and 20-GT2 pulleys on motors.
Belts are 200-GT2.

This gives me 144 step/mm which gives a resolution of 0,006944 mm/steps which is a lot

Have used it like this for over a year and am very pleased with it.

You can also buy Aluminium GT2 pulleys with 40 or 60 teeth instead of the 36 I use. Can also use a 16 teeth instead of the 20 I use on motors.

Considering how cheap the aluminium pulleys are ($1-2 each) I'll not recommend printing them.
Dont know why image is oriented like that..

Edits: more information

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2016 03:32AM by dintid.

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
My Designs on Thingiverse
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
Ultius / Tantillus Thingiverse Group
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login