Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thoughts On this XY system

Posted by stratmaster458 
Thoughts On this XY system
November 22, 2014 09:13PM
Hey folks,

I'm in the middle of designing a multi purpose machine, 3D printer and mill.The design I am going for is most similar to the Tantillus/Ingentis/Eustathios and Ultimaker style XY positioning system. At the NYC makerfaire there was a small company showing off a machine they made calle dthe BoXYZ (company name is the same). The BoxXYZ is effectively a waterjetted ultimaker frame designed to take ballscrews and bigger rods. Check out the pictures I've attached to the post. Anyways i'm curious what everyone thinks about their design.

With their design comes the concern of whether the machine will remain square after/during long opperation perions This concern comes fromt he fact that instead of two linear rods and a ballscrew they just have a ballscrew on one side and a linear rod on the other, I'm weary that this setup will remain square if the machine is used a lot or for a longtime. I plan to go with a very similar design (if not the same just longer) but longer. If I increase the length so its more wide (like how a replicator is wider than a ultimaker), will keeping
the machine square be an issue?

I just want to hear as much constructive criticism of this positioning system
I'm really interested in learning more about it.

Re: Thoughts On this XY system
November 28, 2014 03:59AM
Hello Stratmaster

I like your design with al the metal parts that are milled and the proffesional look!

It's is true what you say, because of the use of just 1 ballscrew at one side, you have a lot of ineartia at the other side. This side misses a linear motion and has to react on the movement of the other side. That takes a little bit of time (for this machine it won't be much, but when you are talking about a longer version = longer axes, the problem will be bigger and bigger), so when you want to have a fast movement, the side that has no ballbearing will not be moving at same speeds and the same time as the side where the ballbearing will be.
This results in wobbly axes and an much fewer accuracy in your printed/milled product. As said, I don't think this will be so much with this small version, but you have to consider this.

The longer axes will have this more and more I suspect.
The axes can also jam when moving to fast or with much direction changes, that will cause a lot of faulty products.... And possibly broken parts or burned motors.
So within a few cycles it won't be square anymore for this version (you could theoretically make the construction as rigid as possible, but the reality learns that you never have bearings and parts that are precisely manufactured, so you would miss the precision), but also a greater version would prefer ballbearings at both sides.

Don't let my reaction scare you away from your idea, I just want you to know what happens when you take this idea to a greater machine.
But as we say here, trying and learning is the best way to make a product. And there are always some rocks on the way to get there, but if it was easy it would not be much of fun!winking smiley

I am curious to your test run!

Keep on the good work

Regards,
Geert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login