Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

few questions before assembly begins

Posted by jjg 
jjg
few questions before assembly begins
September 07, 2014 11:20PM
Finally got my Prusa operational again so I can print the remaining Tantillus parts. As the final printed parts roll off the line, I'm anxious to get started assembling, but I'm wondering if I can roll with what I have, or if I need some more minerals.

In particular, do I need the "real" linear bearings inside the carriage or can I get away with printed ones?

Secondly, the drill rod I have for the axis is not polished and is kind of funky, should I leave this be or clean it up with something like scotchbrite, etc.

Also must 8 mm rod be used in the crossbars or can I use the same drill rod used for the gear-driven rods (especially if I use printed bearings)?

I think that's all for now. I'm anxious to get things together so I have an operational printer and can safely overhaul my prusa without risk of being printer-less smiling smiley
Re: few questions before assembly begins
September 09, 2014 05:54PM
I do not have a Tantillus at this time. I have abandoned the project for a variant. Anyway, the rods should be polished. If you have a drill press you can put them in the drill press and use very fine steel wool first, and then a polishing compound after that. I use printed bearings when I was building mine. I still have all of the printed parts that I had done and the 1/4" Lexan case that I was using, with the bearings (608zz) installed. Do not know what I am going to do with them.

Milt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login