Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Where to get the acrylic case?

Posted by Sebastian_Wolf 
Where to get the acrylic case?
May 30, 2014 03:09PM
Hello to all,

I'm new to this forum and hoping for a good time.

Half a year ago I had my practical semester (engineering student) and had access to a 3D-printer. I used the (limited) time to print the parts for a tantillus printer, but didn't have enough time to print also the case parts (and the printer was using ABS). So I printed the parts for the acrylic case version.
I have access (at my university) to a milling machine, so I can produce the parts, if I only had drawings (with measurements) of the case parts. Maybe I didn't look carefully enough. At the moment I'm using a stl-viewer to measure the needed dimensions from the stl files, but thats very tiring.
Is there any chance to get such drawings or to buy the needed parts from somewhere?

I'm looking forward for answers, thanks in advance,

Sebastian.
Re: Where to get the acrylic case?
May 30, 2014 04:13PM
If you want dimensioned drawings you can have a look at WillWorkForPlastic's metric repo [github.com] otherwise there are dxf's and svg's in the original repo's laser cut case folder but they do not have any dimensions in them. You can use the large bearing holes to get the scaling correct, they need to fit a 608 bearing (22mm).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2014 10:58PM by Sublime.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
May 31, 2014 04:33AM
Hi Sebastian

Milling the case panels probably would'nt work because there are some very tight radius' in the DXF especially in the finger joints. You would need to modify the design. Can you find a local laser cutter? Where are you located? It's less than 1 hour of laser cutting so should'nt cost much. It can be done on a small machine too.

[url=http://github.com/willworkforplastic/Tantillus/tree/master/Production Files/Laser Cutting]Here is the link for the metric laser cut case[/url]

Cheers
Keith
May 31, 2014 12:21PM
You can have them milled (my first two machines were milled) but they will need to use a small bit and cut into the corners of the finger joints a little extra to ensure they fit.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
May 31, 2014 05:42PM
Hello to all,

thank you for your answers.

I looked at WillWorkForPlastic's metric repo and downloaded the big zip-file (thanks for the hint). On monday back in the university I will look into the slddrw-files, at the university I have access to SolidWorks.

I also was already sure that I will have to do some finetuning after milling. Maybe there would be a possibility to get the parts lasercut, but I would have to look carefully for a supplier and also I like the idea to have the parts produced by myself.

And because you asked: I'm german, so please don't be confused, if my english sometimes reads strange.

Best regards, Sebastian.
June 05, 2014 03:31PM
Update: I was able to open the SolidWorks drawings and started to add dimensions. Soon I will own all needed drawings to produce the acrylic parts. In the next weeks I have to study a lot and then do some tests. But after that I will have time to produce the parts in the workshop. At the moment I'm also buying the needed electronic parts one by one. I hope in two or three months the printer will be running.
June 23, 2014 06:57PM
Hi Sebastian,

I bought my acrylic case from a supplier on eMaker, called Indieflow. He is UK-based. I am very pleased with the quality.
June 29, 2014 05:48PM
Hello beekeg,

thanks for your reply.
That really looks promising. At the moment, the acrylic case is out of stock, but a (even cheaper) wooden version is available.
I will think about this.
The last test for this semester is on 23th of July. After that I'll have time again for myself.
Until then I will decide, if I'll buy or make the case myself.

I'll keep you all updated.

Best regards,
Sebastian.
August 29, 2014 08:05PM
Hello to all,

I promised to keep you updated, but then I was more busy on the german part of reprap-forum. Sorry for that.

I bought the case from Indieflow from eMaker. For this price I wouldn't even have had a chance to buy the material and then I still would have had to do a lot of work making the case. I only can recommend the supplier.

My printer is now complete with all the hardware, at the moment I'm beginning to install and test the software.
But I still have some problems left, the next days I will read through the software-forum, to look, if someone else also had this problems and how he solved it.

Maybe I will post some pictures later.

Best regards,
Sebastian.
September 12, 2014 06:11PM
Where are you located? I have a Lexan case w/the 608zz bearings already pressed in, that I am not going to be using. I have decided to give the Tantilot a try. I could be persuaded to let this go at a very fair price +shipping. There is a small crack by one of the corners, but this will be covered by the corners. I also have just about all of the plastic for it. Including the extruder all built up and ready to go. I even have doubles of some of the plastic parts. PM me if you are interested. The shipping cost here in the U.S. should run about $18.00 through the USPS Priority Mail. I will only ship in the U.S. as anywhere else would probably be very expensive.

Milt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2014 06:12PM by mondo50m.
September 17, 2014 07:25PM
Hello, thanks for your reply.

I'm from Germany and I already bought a case from the supplier Indieflow from GB.

But maybe someone elso also is looking for an acrylic case.

Best regards,
Sebastian.
October 24, 2014 02:53AM
I just bought the acrylic case from Makerfarm

[www.makerfarm.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login