Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My Variant of Tantillus

Posted by leonal 
My Variant of Tantillus
January 22, 2014 05:39AM
After been working several months to build an Tantillus by myself , finally , i get this one (see attachment) . I plan share my experience in this topic i created , main change as following:
1. Add some printed nut adapters to use metric bolts and nuts as I can only get the metric ones.
2. Replace 4 printed LM8uu bushings with real LM8uu bearing as i failed with printed ones
3. Replace Extruder with a simple one with large gears (richrap extruder)
4. Simplify the corners
5. Using a big Smart Controller LCD

And it works nicely , someone will like that variant as there are 6 gears running outside when printing smiling smiley

Re: My Variant of Tantillus
January 22, 2014 11:38AM
> 1. Add some printed nut adapters to use metric bolts and nuts as I can only get the metric ones.

You could have built the metric version from WillWorkForPlastic's repo.

> 2. Replace 4 printed LM8uu bushings with real LM8uu bearing as i failed with printed ones

That will fail very soon. Linear bearings are not designed to have the shafts rotate and the rotation will cause the balls to turn in their races and wear them out.

> 3. Replace Extruder with a simple one with large gears (richrap extruder)

Looks good. Did you make a bracket or just drill some extra holes?

> 4. Simplify the corners

What holds in the bearings? What holds the case together?

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
January 22, 2014 11:41PM
So right bout the LM8u not liking rotation. I was thinking about replacing the LM8u with sintered bronze bushings. Are they easy to find?
January 23, 2014 02:17AM
Robonz
So right bout the LM8u not liking rotation. I was thinking about replacing the LM8u with sintered bronze bushings. Are they easy to find?

Yes you can get bronze bushings from most bearing and industrial suppliers. You can also get Igus bushings made to replace LM8uu's rjm-01-08

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
January 23, 2014 05:29AM
> 1. Add some printed nut adapters to use metric bolts and nuts as I can only get the metric ones.

You could have built the metric version from WillWorkForPlastic's repo.

***That's right , but before I discovered the metric one by WillWorkForPlastic, I already get yours printed! I'll test WillWorkForPlastic's later

> 2. Replace 4 printed LM8uu bushings with real LM8uu bearing as i failed with printed ones

That will fail very soon. Linear bearings are not designed to have the shafts rotate and the rotation will cause the balls to turn in their races and wear them out.

***Let me check how long they can last. I give up the printed bushings because I tried several pairs of them and still not working. There should have some other replacements.

> 3. Replace Extruder with a simple one with large gears (richrap extruder)

Looks good. Did you make a bracket or just drill some extra holes?

*** It's simple, just drill two extra holes on right panel, and keep some distance of the big gear from the extruder body (I've added five M8 washes to keep the distance)

> 4. Simplify the corners

What holds in the bearings? What holds the case together?

*** The simplified corner can still hold the case together , the bearings are already stick to the case tightly (some glue needed if not). The problem I'm facing is how to keep the robs from slipping away, i think the left and rear robs are already fixed by gears , for front and right ones,
I've added four printed circle clips (stick to robs by using M3 grub screws).

I get this solution finally for I cracked several corners when trying to fix them to the case (maybe I should scale the model a bit? ) , It also cost a lot of time to print the corners and these corners make maintaince difficult after build up.
January 23, 2014 05:31AM
Robonz

I'm also interested in it smiling smiley
January 23, 2014 11:58AM
When printing the corners on a Tantillus they fit panels that are 5.9mm. But if the panels are thicker or you are printing them on a different machine you often need to scale them up a tiny bit.

RichRap used linear bearings in his Tantillus on the turning rods and they only lasted a short while. Have a look at the Igus ones I posted the part number to in my last post.

February 14, 2014 09:08PM
Working on my Tantillus. I am printing the case on my MendelMax 1.5 and they are coming out just fine. I am also building the Ingentis, which is a large version of the Tantillus. I am in need of getting a hobbed bolt for the extruder. Any Ideas??

Milt
February 15, 2014 12:25AM
mondo50m
Working on my Tantillus. I am printing the case on my MendelMax 1.5 and they are coming out just fine. I am also building the Ingentis, which is a large version of the Tantillus. I am in need of getting a hobbed bolt for the extruder. Any Ideas??

Milt

If you are looking for a hobbed bolt for Tantillus's extruder I could hobb you one once I get more bolts in. If you are looking for one for Ingentis it will depend on which extruder you are planning on using. I think his newest one with belts uses a makerbot style hobbed wheel. If you are going with a Wades or Gregs extruder you could get a Hyena bar from Arcol.

February 15, 2014 03:50PM
Sublime--thank you for the rapid reply. I am looking for a hobbed for the tantillus. ONly five more case sections and that part will be done. Lm8suu and lm8uu, 608zz I already have. Have ordered the motors and the rods. Just needing the hobbed bolt. Let me know when you are ready to sell again.

Milt
February 15, 2014 04:57PM
February 27, 2014 10:09AM
Another one I build,
This time I'm using printed lm8uu bushings, they are working now , some tips here
1. Using sharp edge of the rob to clean inner of the printed bushing, the bushing need stick to the rob very well, too tight not work , too loose not work.
2. Better testing X, Y movement before mount Z axis
3. The two fishing line for X axis or Y axis need to be the same tight
4. Up Gear and moto Gear of X axis or Y axis should be loose contacted

by the way , I've also worked out an Acrylic version for fan mount (can be used to mount 4mm or 5mm fan).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2014 10:10AM by leonal.
November 17, 2014 04:53PM
Hello

Because of my LCD 16x2 doesn't work anymore, I was planning of using the same LCD screen like you did (the bigger, 20x4 i suppose?). I use this type of LCD on all my other printers, I like the bigger screen with more to see on it!
Did you have to upgrade the firmware also, or did it worked fine without any adjustments?

I didn't order the bigger screen yet, preventing me to buy something I can't really use.

Kind regards,
Geert
November 23, 2014 10:45AM
You need make some modification to the firmware , take this as a reference:
[github.com]

Geert
Hello

Because of my LCD 16x2 doesn't work anymore, I was planning of using the same LCD screen like you did (the bigger, 20x4 i suppose?). I use this type of LCD on all my other printers, I like the bigger screen with more to see on it!
Did you have to upgrade the firmware also, or did it worked fine without any adjustments?

I didn't order the bigger screen yet, preventing me to buy something I can't really use.

Kind regards,
Geert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login