Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is it worth converting my Printrbot Jr. into a Tantillus?

Posted by cjdj3 
Is it worth converting my Printrbot Jr. into a Tantillus?
September 04, 2013 10:12PM
I want to re-build my Printrbot Jr into a reprap, and while searching I've come across the tantillus, which would be buildable for under $100 with the parts I have right now.

Is it worth it? Currently my modded Printrbot can print 140mmx117mmx200mm, but the Tantillus can only print 100mmx100mmx100mm.

If not, what reprap do you recommend?
Re: Is it worth converting my Printrbot Jr. into a Tantillus?
September 04, 2013 10:56PM
I expect the steppers and electronics would translate directly to the Tantillus. The z-axis screw looks like it might also work. Can't tell how big the rods are on the Printrbot. The Tantillus wants 4 lengths of 5/16" drill rod for the outside x-y rods. Two of them are 7 3/4"long and the other two are 8 1/2". You can use bronze bushings or printed PLA bushings on the outside carriages. The two middle x-y rods are 8mm hardened shaft, 6 3/4" long. These have linear ball beaings riding on them, two long ones and two short ones. I expect you could print all the Tantillus parts, including the case, on your Printerbot. Would take a lot of filament and a lot of time.

The strong points of the Tantillus, from what I've read, are its speed and it's quality of prints. I haven't printed anything on my Tantillus yet, but it seems like a solid little machine.

Chuck
Re: Is it worth converting my Printrbot Jr. into a Tantillus?
September 06, 2013 01:51PM
First of all, I think you should point the reasons to change your machine. If it is working properly I see no reason to do it, but that's me.

One very valid reason would be to build it yourself and learn in the process, but to me, having a working printer gives you a lot of freedom to build other printers, so I'd rather keep the Printrbot and build a new one.

Worst case transforming the Printrbot to a Tantillus would be burning something out due to bad wiring, so you would be risking your actual machine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login