Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Slic3r

Posted by Ursine 
New Slic3r
January 20, 2013 03:00PM
The docs recommend using Slic3r 0.7.2b. Version 0.9.8 is out now. Should I still use the older one?

Dave
Re: New Slic3r
January 20, 2013 04:52PM
You can try it. I have no desire to ever use Slic3r again myself. Their lack of concern in the quality area over 25ish releases tells me their machines can not print as well as Tantillus so they have no need to concern themselves with miss aligned layers and bumps etc. I have moved onto Kisslicer and Cura as the slicers for Tantillus. All this would be on the site if I had not lost everything from the last 6 months due to a Hard drive failure and a lack of backups in that time.


FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Re: New Slic3r
January 21, 2013 09:45AM
Ursine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The docs recommend using Slic3r 0.7.2b. Version
> 0.9.8 is out now. Should I still use the older
> one?

Don't bother with Slic3r at this point. Sublime's setup/parameters for KISSlicer are so much better that I can't imagine going back to Slic3r at all.


----------------
Lem Fugitt
3D Printing Dreams
Robots Dreams
"The map is not the territory."
Re: New Slic3r
January 29, 2013 08:41AM
I tested 0.9.8 last night with Tantillus and I'm getting better final results than with 0.7.2b using the same settings and models.

Still testing, but worth trying if you are not ready to go to KISSlicer or Cura just yet.


[richrap.blogspot.com]
Re: New Slic3r
January 29, 2013 02:37PM
richrap Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I tested 0.9.8 last night with Tantillus and I'm
> getting better final results than with 0.7.2b
> using the same settings and models.
>
> Still testing, but worth trying if you are not
> ready to go to KISSlicer or Cura just yet.

Glad to hear you have Tantillus up and running. If you do find that 0.9.8 works well I think everyone would appreciate a copy of your config so they could try it out.


FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Re: New Slic3r
January 30, 2013 02:11AM
Hi Brad,

Yes, Tantillus is great, really love it. I have made some changes to allow the use of 50mm long NEMA17 motors, 1.75mm filament (Extruder and carriage mods) and a few other tweaks. Are you or do you plan to collect user's mods and changes to parts anywhere on Tantillus.org?


Lower Z motor mount mod for 50mm Nema17 motors

I'm running it from +12v, working, but it would certainly benefit from a slightly higher voltage for the motors.
The only other tricky thing is the spectra line adjusters front and back, as they are upside down it's very tricky to tighten the line, especially for me as I have used 50mm motors rather than the ones 40mm you use. It would be nice to have these flipped the other way as the other ones could be tightened if they were facing down.

I only have two Slic3r 0.98 configs at the moment (Attached), one for PLA and a slightly modified temperature and retraction version for Taulman 618 Nylon testing.

If anyone else is running 1.75mm filament on Tantillus my Firmware estep value for PLA is 265 (using an x8 microstep on the Extruder)
I'm using the Herringbone gears for the extruder.
The Tantillus extruder can drive 1.75mm filament perfectly with the standard hobbed bolt designed for 3mm drive (I did use different extruder springs)

I'm still tuning for Nylon, but the estep value is going to be slightly less.



Thanks again for a great design, I'm planning a blog post on my build and mods soon.

Rich.


[richrap.blogspot.com]
Attachments:
open | download - (0.35mm)_Slic3r_0_98_Tantillus_config_RichRap3.ini (2.7 KB)
open | download - (0.35mm)_Slic3r_0_98_Tantillus_config_RichRap3_NYLON_SMALL_THINGS.ini (2.7 KB)
Re: New Slic3r
January 30, 2013 07:03AM
While waiting for my Tantillus, I bought a Lulzbot. I'm using Slic3r 0.98 on it and seems to work fine. I'm printing at really low res (400 micron layer) right now so maybe higher res prints will show problems. I plan to drop to 100 microns soon so I'll see.

Dave
Re: New Slic3r
January 30, 2013 12:50PM
Hello Sublime,

"lack of concern in the quality area" surprises me quite well. I think you should try 0.9.8, as a lot of work has been done. Sticking with a very very old development version (0.7.2b) gives a very unfair idea of Slic3r to you and your users!
Please have a look at the small gallery on slic3r.org home page or just hang around asking for samples of Slic3r prints. Here's a recent one, by starno:



I don't see many reports from you about quality:
[github.com]

I am alway happy to hear about feedback, with pictures, samples, ideas. Everybody who did helped me a lot in development.

Regarding Bowden, please just note that I never used a Bowden extruder in my life. That's why Slic3r is not optimized at all for that technology. Now, thanks to sponsors (SeeMeCNC and Wasp) I'm getting a couple Bowden machines so that I can work on that, so expect optimizations shortly. And please -- do share your feedback.

But please remember that feedback is very very important in a community. Not sharing ideas and feedback doesn't help at all!
Re: New Slic3r
January 30, 2013 02:29PM
Sound Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello Sublime,
>
> "lack of concern in the quality area" surprises me
> quite well. I think you should try 0.9.8, as a lot
> of work has been done. Sticking with a very very
> old development version (0.7.2b) gives a very
> unfair idea of Slic3r to you and your users!
> Please have a look at the small gallery on
> slic3r.org home page or just hang around asking
> for samples of Slic3r prints.

Maybe I did not say anything because OF ALL THE OTHER PEOPLE COMPLAINING AND YOU IGNORING THEM. The fact is 0.7.2 had the best layer alignment and path planning as found by DOZENS of people (with the possible exception of the current release). But as I said I would rather use a slicer where the creator can see that quality is the first concern and that "extra features" should not be implemented until the outlines are PERFECT. But you went from having good perimeter to having complete crap and you could not see it. WHY? Is it that your printer could not resolve that quality of print? Anyway I have told you lots about the print path width and yet you just keep plugging away at printing wider when at lower layers then at higher layers which makes Slic3rs automatic width COMPLETELY WRONG. Maybe read what I said over and over and work on those and then maybe I will think about using Slic3r again. But not until you have released 5 versions without HUGE bugs that make it unusable like every single one since 0.7.2b (with the possible exception of the current release). Also maybe you should try Kisslicer and once you can get slic3r to come close to its quality of path planning, layer alignment, wipe, good choices of when to retract. All of these things make the print results from Kisslicer so much better than Slic3r has ever done. And then there is Cura Daid has done an amazing job making it run faster, amazing interface and you get the path planning from SF. Once wipe (Kisslicer style wipe) is added to Cura it will be the only slicer I recommend and use as it works every time and produces good results that will not be broken the next time I download it. Sure it may change and some settings may come and go but the results will still have perfect outlines. Last thing is maybe you should have addressed all the bug reports you had before implementing anything new instead of just adding feature after feature without fixing the problems. As for the picture why is it that 0.7.2b made prints that nice and it is only now that you are able to get them again. Is it because Slic3r did not care about quality until now or you just ignored all those reports about bad layer alignment and bumps?


FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Re: New Slic3r
January 30, 2013 04:43PM
richrap Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Brad,
>
> Yes, Tantillus is great, really love it. I have
> made some changes to allow the use of 50mm long
> NEMA17 motors, 1.75mm filament (Extruder and
> carriage mods) and a few other tweaks. Are you or
> do you plan to collect user's mods and changes to
> parts anywhere on Tantillus.org?

Good question and I should do something. At least a link page. For now just post them where ever you like and post a link [forums.reprap.org] I would prefer github but feel free to post them wherever you like.


> [3.bp.blogspot.com]
> AAAAAAAACSg/0j36H_ZdzLQ/s400/Tantillus_50mm_Motor_
> mod.jpg
> Lower Z motor mount mod for 50mm Nema17 motors
>
> I'm running it from +12v, working, but it would
> certainly benefit from a slightly higher voltage
> for the motors.
> The only other tricky thing is the spectra line
> adjusters front and back, as they are upside down
> it's very tricky to tighten the line, especially
> for me as I have used 50mm motors rather than the
> ones 40mm you use. It would be nice to have these
> flipped the other way as the other ones could be
> tightened if they were facing down.

Yeah that was my mistake for sure. The solution has been presented to me and it was obvious after but I have not made the change yet. All it needs is to have the entire x/y assembly to be turned 90 degrees. This obviously means the holes in the case need to be moved but otherwise all the inside parts should stay the same.


> I only have two Slic3r 0.98 configs at the moment
> (Attached), one for PLA and a slightly modified
> temperature and retraction version for Taulman 618
> Nylon testing.
>
> If anyone else is running 1.75mm filament on
> Tantillus my Firmware estep value for PLA is 265
> (using an x8 microstep on the Extruder)
> I'm using the Herringbone gears for the extruder.
> The Tantillus extruder can drive 1.75mm filament
> perfectly with the standard hobbed bolt designed
> for 3mm drive (I did use different extruder
> springs)
>
> I'm still tuning for Nylon, but the estep value is
> going to be slightly less.
>
> [2.bp.blogspot.com]
> AAAAAAAACSk/7g6IVXCNPw4/s400/Tantillus_2013.jpg
>
> Thanks again for a great design, I'm planning a
> blog post on my build and mods soon.

Can't wait to read it.


FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Re: New Slic3r
January 30, 2013 11:32PM
I was going to run my 8 micron resolution test using Slic3r 0.9.8 but it will not run on Debian Wheezy (testing) as it was compiled on a Linux system with a newer glibc. But I did find on Slic3rs bug tracker that layer alignment was reported again as an issue only seven days ago [github.com] and looks to be dismissed as not being within resolution of a FFF printer. Well I can say having the layers miss aligned by even 20 microns as it is now will show up big time on Tantillus at 2-1/2 times bigger of a defect than Tantillus's real world resolution [forums.reprap.org] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2013 11:37PM by Sublime.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Re: New Slic3r
January 31, 2013 07:56AM
Sublime, I don't understand your attitude. I think you should relax a bit.

Slic3r's not just the result of my work. It's a community project. People testing and providing feedback are very important for me. I receive like 20+ e-mails per day and spend most of my time on the #reprap and #slic3r IRC channels to hear what people say, provide support and discuss how to improve results. This is my idea of open source: let's work together to build a better thing. And I'm very satisfied because in about one year of development Slic3r's quality has improved a lot thanks to such community.
This is why I got sad when I read you saying (er, shouting) that I ignore complaints about people. Where? What? That's almost the opposite of what I do :-(

If you think the above picture is "complete crap", or richrap's prints (even in this thread) are "complete crap" or [brainspl.at] or [brainspl.at] or [devel.lulzbot.com] ... how can you say this is "complete crap"? People will think you have some hidden reason for yelling at me - and I really wonder myself now...

>Maybe read what I said over and over and work on those
>and then maybe I will think about using Slic3r again

Where? Can you please point me to such reports? None of yours at [github.com] were discarded, and I don't see much regarding quality either. Telepathy doesn't work... Another option for you is to join us on IRC and have a chat about what do you think needs to be improved based on your own testing.

> [github.com] and
> looks to be dismissed as not being within
> resolution of a FFF printer.

Dismissed? Does it look like that? Oh man? Mike wrote that we're working on that... how come you say it's "dismissed"?
(and by the way, I'm still waiting for a picture that shows how that 0.02mm maximum variance over a 20mm span can affect quality. Just a picture!)

I'm really sad about your attitude. My idea of community doesn't involve yelling or shouting. It involves cooperation and having fun working together.
Re: New Slic3r
January 31, 2013 08:02AM
Rich,

I adapted mine to 1.75 a bit differently. I did not modify the x-carriage or the extruder. I used an #8 nut and printed an adapter that bumped it up to the same size as the 1/4" nut used with 3mm filament. I did use a bit of the larger tubing as a spacer down in the x-carriage (so that it centered the filament. It all works and lets me keep the normal tantillus parts unchanged. Its actually a really simple adaptation. I'll get some hours printing on it and let you know if it held up smiling smiley
Re: New Slic3r
January 31, 2013 08:27AM
os1r1s Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rich,
> I'll get
> some hours printing on it and let you know if it
> held up smiling smiley

Great, sounds like it should work fine.

I decided to use the Pneumatic push-fit connection as I like to be able to remove the PTFE tube easily and I have used them so many times before I know they are a good solution, but yes it did need a bit of a mod to the parts, I'm happy to share the mods with anyone that needs a 1.75mm 'Upgrade' on Tantillus smiling smiley

Cheers,

Rich.


[richrap.blogspot.com]
Re: New Slic3r
January 31, 2013 02:47PM
Sound Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Slic3r's not just the result of my work. It's a
> community project. People testing and providing
> feedback are very important for me. I receive like
> 20+ e-mails per day and spend most of my time on
> the #reprap and #slic3r IRC channels to hear what
> people say, provide support and discuss how to
> improve results.

Well IRC is a great place to get the wrong advise and not have any evidence. Maybe try discussing everything in public where it is recorded for prosperity. That way when you get bad advice someone else can point it out instead of just implementing it without understanding or debating it.

This is my idea of open source:
> let's work together to build a better thing. And
> I'm very satisfied because in about one year of
> development Slic3r's quality has improved a lot
> thanks to such community.
> This is why I got sad when I read you saying (er,
> shouting) that I ignore complaints about people.
> Where? What? That's almost the opposite of what I
> do :-(

Do you really want me to post links to all of those conversations on github? Just remember if Idolcrasher was complaining there was a serious problem that was being ignored. Oh yeah I read the bug reports.

>
> If you think the above picture is "complete crap",
> or richrap's prints (even in this thread) are
> "complete crap" or
> [brainspl.at] or
> [brainspl.at] or
> [devel.lulzbot.com]
> ... how can you say this is "complete crap"?
> People will think you have some hidden reason for
> yelling at me - and I really wonder myself now...

Again your ability to read has gotten you to completely the wrong place. I said versions between that picture (0.9.8) and
0.7.2b were crap. After you posted a picture to show the level Slic3r has reached. And I sad NO it was at that level at 0.7.2b and then it went to crap until now (proven by you claiming it has reached this point).
>
> >Maybe read what I said over and over and work on
> those
> >and then maybe I will think about using Slic3r
> again
>
> Where? Can you please point me to such reports?
> None of yours at
> [github.com]
> /Intrinsically-Sublime?state=open were discarded,
> and I don't see much regarding quality either.
> Telepathy doesn't work... Another option for you
> is to join us on IRC and have a chat about what do
> you think needs to be improved based on your own
> testing.

Again repeating stuff serves no purpose if you do not fell it needs fixing or someone is willing to pay to have a feature added before fixing the bugs.

And for the last time I will point you at the conversation about extrusion widths that you participated in (but completely ignored the data and did your own thing). Be sure to read all three pages word for word [forums.reprap.org]


> > [github.com] and
> > looks to be dismissed as not being within
> > resolution of a FFF printer.
>
> Dismissed? Does it look like that? Oh man? Mike
> wrote that we're working on that... how come you
> say it's "dismissed"?
> (and by the way, I'm still waiting for a picture
> that shows how that 0.02mm maximum variance over a
> 20mm span can affect quality. Just a picture!)

Umm again... I posted about printing 8 micron (0.008mm) details in x and y just below this post. So 20 micron (0.02mm) is 2.5 times larger than the print resolution. Also your words " Anyway, a deviation of 0.02mm is likely to be totally invisible and unmeasurable in actual prints. Things like Z wobble or filament diameter variation cause way more visible artifacts. "

>
> I'm really sad about your attitude. My idea of
> community doesn't involve yelling or shouting. It
> involves cooperation and having fun working
> together.

I stayed out of Slic3r's business since giving up on it. YOU came here and started this conversation and blamed me for not reporting things making it my fault for them not getting fixed. What I did report back when Slic3r gave good results was never implemented until now even though they were requests to improve print quality. One example was do not cross perimeters that you would not implement because speed of slicing was more important than quality of the prints. You added it after this conversation started probably to try and save some face but as I said I have no interest in a slicer where the developers do not care about quality as much as they care about speed and funding.

Quality should be #1 and the rest should be filed away until it is perfect.


FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Re: New Slic3r
February 01, 2013 05:42AM
Sublime Wrote:
Quote

> Do you really want me to post links to all of
> those conversations on github?

Oh yes!

Quote

> Again your ability to read has gotten you to
> completely the wrong place. I said versions
> between that picture (0.9.8) and
> 0.7.2b were crap. After you posted a picture to
> show the level Slic3r has reached. And I sad NO it
> was at that level at 0.7.2b and then it went to
> crap until now (proven by you claiming it has
> reached this point).

Most of the pictures I linked (maybe even the first one) were taken with pre-0.9.8 versions. Just check the dates. This is a fact.

Quote

> And for the last time I will point you at the
> conversation about extrusion widths that you
> participated in (but completely ignored the data
> and did your own thing). Be sure to read all three
> pages word for word
> [forums.reprap.org]

July? A *lot* has changed since then, including flow calculation, and any discussion or feedback is valuable input for me and influences my experiments. I do print with J-heads all the time, by the way. No one ever reported a single problem like that since July.

Quote

> One example was
> do not cross perimeters that you would not
> implement because speed of slicing was more
> important than quality of the prints. You added it
> after this conversation started probably to try
> and save some face

LOL. My work on that feature dates back to August! You can clearly see this in the commit log at [github.com]
And the final merge happened on Jan 27th, which is way before I found this thread. Check the dates yourself...
Why does your hostility eclipse in its virulence even provable facts?
(And I'd rather discuss printing issues with you rather than debating pointlessly on commit dates which looks very childish.)

Quote

> but as I said I have no
> interest in a slicer where the developers do not
> care about quality as much as they care about
> speed and funding.

Er... thanks to funding I'm now able to pay an additional programmer that has been working on Slic3r since November, with excellent results and a huge boost on bugfixing and development, shortening ETA for the release of 1.0.
And stop saying I have no interest about quality... Pictures prove the opposite.

Telling people to stick with an oooold version such as 0.7.2b will cause unfair opinions about Slic3r. That's like boycotting me... the state-of-the-art is way ahead. Let them judge themselves by trying a recent version and doing their own comparisons. Shouting "it's crap, it's crap" does not help me nor them -- nor yourself.

What really bothers me is your hostility. I always thought you were a valuable person, and we always had good conversations, so I'm very surprised about such attitude. Everything you posted at [github.com] was done and not ignored at all. Readers, go check yourself...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2013 05:50AM by Sound.
Re: New Slic3r
February 01, 2013 01:22PM
Sound Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sublime Wrote:
> > Do you really want me to post links to all of
> > those conversations on github?
>
> Oh yes!

Once I have time to go through all 1000 bug reports about slic3r I will post the serious ones but do not expect it to be soon as I do not have time to go through all 1000 bug reports your software has generated right now.

>
>
> > Again your ability to read has gotten you to
> > completely the wrong place. I said versions
> > between that picture (0.9.8) and
> > 0.7.2b were crap. After you posted a picture to
> > show the level Slic3r has reached. And I sad NO
> it
> > was at that level at 0.7.2b and then it went to
> > crap until now (proven by you claiming it has
> > reached this point).
>
>
> Most of the pictures I linked (maybe even the
> first one) were taken with pre-0.9.8 versions.
> Just check the dates. This is a fact.

Really then why are you all of a sudden going through the RepRap forum trying to get people to use your software again. It it because it it the first release in a long time that is usable. DUH.

>
> > And for the last time I will point you at the
> > conversation about extrusion widths that you
> > participated in (but completely ignored the
> data
> > and did your own thing). Be sure to read all
> three
> > pages word for word
> > [forums.reprap.org]
>
> July? A *lot* has changed since then, including
> flow calculation, and any discussion or feedback
> is valuable input for me and influences my
> experiments. I do print with J-heads all the time,
> by the way. No one ever reported a single problem
> like that since July.

Maybe it is because the people that print at low layers and high resolutions gave up on Slic3r a long time ago. Say around July.

>
> > One example was
> > do not cross perimeters that you would not
> > implement because speed of slicing was more
> > important than quality of the prints. You added
> it
> > after this conversation started probably to try
> > and save some face
>
> LOL. My work on that feature dates back to
> August! You can clearly see this in the commit
> log at
> [github.com]
> b/Slic3r/GCode/MotionPlanner.pm
> And the final merge happened on Jan 27th, which is
> way before I found this thread. Check the dates
> yourself...
> Why does your hostility eclipse in its virulence
> even provable facts?
> (And I'd rather discuss printing issues with you
> rather than debating pointlessly on commit dates
> which looks very childish.)

You are correct and I can actually admit that unlike you that can not admit that Slic3r went to Crap after 0.7.2b and you have been fighting to get it back up to par since.


> > but as I said I have no
> > interest in a slicer where the developers do
> not
> > care about quality as much as they care about
> > speed and funding.
>
> Er... thanks to funding I'm now able to pay an
> additional programmer that has been working on
> Slic3r since November, with excellent results and
> a huge boost on bugfixing and development,
> shortening ETA for the release of 1.0.
> And stop saying I have no interest about
> quality... Pictures prove the opposite.
>
> Telling people to stick with an oooold version
> such as 0.7.2b will cause unfair opinions about
> Slic3r. That's like boycotting me... the
> state-of-the-art is way ahead. Let them judge
> themselves by trying a recent version and doing
> their own comparisons. Shouting "it's crap, it's
> crap" does not help me nor them -- nor yourself.

I have never told anyone not to use it and I encouraged RichRap to provide profiles so other people could try it. But I will never promote it especially after having you come here and deny how crappy it had become. If you had admitted that it had some issues that made it unusable during that time and you thought you had finally worked them out I may have thought otherwise.

>
> What really bothers me is your hostility. I always
> thought you were a valuable person, and we always
> had good conversations, so I'm very surprised
> about such attitude. Everything you posted at
> [github.com]
> /Intrinsically-Sublime?state=open was done and not
> ignored at all. Readers, go check yourself...

You are correct I will never tell anyone to use Slic3r 0.7.2b again I will remove all mention of Slic3r from Tantillus.org and only recommend good slic3rs like Cura and Kisslicer.

Here is a comparison of Slicer 0.9.7 and before against Cura and Kisslicer on a poorly calibrated machine that exaggerates the problems with each slicer.
[solidoodletips.wordpress.com]

You will see that even the release prior to the current one was crap and only printed as well as 0.7.2b in most respects and worse in others. And hands down Kisslicer has the most consistent and usable results.

Now quit complaining that someone is actually honest with you about how they feel about your software and spend some time making it good.


FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Re: New Slic3r
February 01, 2013 05:47PM
Sublime,

I have to take some responsibility here. I am a frequenter on IRC and pointed out to Sound that there was a slic3t fork and some discussion here regarding slic3r. My intent was that Sound might gleam some information regarding using slic3r with a bowden extruder. Perhaps some things could be incorporated into the latest release to make it work better with bowden. Since he is about to start using one, this was even more appealing.

My intent was not to start a flame war, and in hindsight I wish I had not pointed Sound to this thread. I'm fairly certain his intent was not to troll the Tantillus subforum. I genuinely believe he is interested in the feedback.
Re: New Slic3r
February 02, 2013 11:13AM
Sublime Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was going to run my 8 micron resolution test
> using Slic3r 0.9.8 but it will not run on Debian
> Wheezy (testing) as it was compiled on a Linux
> system with a newer glibc.

You can do this to run slic3r on Wheezy:

git clone git://github.com/alexrj/Slic3r
cd Slic3r
git checkout 0.9.8
sudo perl Build.PL
sudo cpan Wx

(edit to add the checkout of 0.9.8)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2013 11:59AM by jebba.
Re: New Slic3r
February 02, 2013 05:57PM
I will not be spending the time to test Slic3r 0.9.8 after these renderings made with Repetier host were posted in the Slic3r thread showing that Slic3r 0.9.8 can not slice a simple shape (cube with one rounded corner) and produce smooth sides. This is all the proof I need to say that after Slic3r 0.7.2b Slic3r fails at consistently slicing things accurately. This eliminates all the possibility that the issues are caused by hardware and show it is at the time of slicing the problems are created. No more need to discuss it.

Slic3r 0.9.8:
Looks like a hardware issue that you would spend days looking for only to find out it was a software issue all along.


Kisslicer:
This is how it should look and the reason I recommend Kisslicer.



FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver

Re: New Slic3r
February 02, 2013 08:08PM
Sublime, would you mind posting the STL that was used for those screenshots? Other thin walled objects I have thrown at 0.9.8 have not had that issue so I'd like to play with it.
Re: New Slic3r
February 02, 2013 08:18PM
crispy1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sublime, would you mind posting the STL that was
> used for those screenshots? Other thin walled
> objects I have thrown at 0.9.8 have not had that
> issue so I'd like to play with it.

They are not my pictures or STL files but you can download them from the original thread [forums.reprap.org] one thing is I think what they are saying is it only happens when randomize starts is enabled. If this is the case I would say that feature should not be part of any release version. I would like to see the results of 0.7.2b against it. But neither Slic3r nor Repetier will run on Wheezy without hundreds of dependencies being added. I started adding them and trying to get them running but every time it would say it needs something else and after a while I gave up since Kisslicer and Cura both run without issue and give nearly perfect results every time.


FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Re: New Slic3r
February 03, 2013 06:23AM
I have never understood why slic3r doesn't simply do what its name implies. I.e. slice the object you give it and use that as the outline for each layer (offset by the filament width of course). That is what Skeinforge has always done (if you leave Stretch turned off) so you get the result you expect.


[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Re: New Slic3r
February 03, 2013 07:33AM
@ Sublime

Thank you for pointing me to the STL. I sliced it with my current slic3r config in 0.9.8 and it came out looking very nice, see attached image. I do have randomize starting points turned off.



My interpretation is the uneven edges seen in RepHost are a product of something in the configuration, and [edit] not [/edit] inherent in the software.

Also, for what it's worth, I don't put too much faith in RepHost's depiction of edges. I've had prints that looked like that in the preview that came out looking fine. Of course, my printer is not as precise as Tantillus winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2013 10:32AM by crispy1.
Re: New Slic3r
February 03, 2013 09:04AM
Sublime Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But neither
> Slic3r nor Repetier will run on Wheezy without
> hundreds of dependencies being added. I started
> adding them and trying to get them running but
> every time it would say it needs something else

If you run these commands and hit ENTER for the CPAN prompts (e.g. take the defaults in all answers), you can run Slic3r on Debian Wheezy no problem:

git clone git://github.com/alexrj/Slic3r
cd Slic3r
git checkout 0.9.8
sudo perl Build.PL
sudo cpan Wx

(edit: Phorum didnt like my gt/lt signs around ENTER)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2013 09:05AM by jebba.
Re: New Slic3r
February 03, 2013 09:22AM
Installing the Cura Linux binary now I see it requires checking out & installing this from github: [github.com]

So it's not like you don't have to install deps and stuff there too. (Not to be taken as a slight against Cura--seems reasonable to me.)
Re: New Slic3r
February 03, 2013 04:00PM
@Sublime: Those 8 microns prints look incredible, it makes me consider Tantillus.. however, after seeing the way you talk to Sound, I prefer using a (potentially) inferior printer and slicer. I have read this thread (and a couple others), and it looks like you do have something against sound and you are being rude, arrogant and frankly a bitter troll. I suggest you learn how to speak in public if you don't want to be seen as a bully. And if Tantillus is your own product, then I think you have a lot to do in terms of PR because you are tainting your product with your bitterness.

@Sound: I don't know how Slic3r compares to Kisslicer, but if it works just as good, then good job! If it doesn't, then keep going and I hope your software will fix any remaining issues it might have.
Once I get a 3D printer, maybe I'll contribute to your software (I'm not into perl though, so might be with bug reports and community work).

Note: I am not pro-slic3r or pro-kisslicer, I never used/downloaded that software. I don't even have a 3D printer, but I've been researching in order to buy one, and I've stumbled into this thread. Seeing the reaction (==attack) of Sublime just made me feel awful and I had to speak up. There's nothing else to my post.
Re: New Slic3r
February 03, 2013 04:44PM
jebba Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sublime Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > But neither
> > Slic3r nor Repetier will run on Wheezy without
> > hundreds of dependencies being added. I started
> > adding them and trying to get them running but
> > every time it would say it needs something else
>
> If you run these commands and hit ENTER for the
> CPAN prompts (e.g. take the defaults in all
> answers), you can run Slic3r on Debian Wheezy no
> problem:
>
>
> git clone git://github.com/alexrj/Slic3r
> cd Slic3r
> git checkout 0.9.8
> sudo perl Build.PL
> sudo cpan Wx
>
> (edit: Phorum didnt like my gt/lt signs around
> ENTER)

Actually if fails 9 out of 9 tests and does not work.


FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Re: New Slic3r
February 03, 2013 04:47PM
jebba Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Installing the Cura Linux binary now I see it
> requires checking out & installing this from
> github: [github.com]
>
> So it's not like you don't have to install deps
> and stuff there too. (Not to be taken as a slight
> against Cura--seems reasonable to me.)

Yes that was added on the last release and was not available from PyPi directly. This is being remedied and should be fixed in the next release. Also all I did was download the power module and place it in the Cura folder and did not need to install it.


FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Re: New Slic3r
February 03, 2013 05:10PM
KaKaRoTo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @Sublime: Those 8 microns prints look incredible,
> it makes me consider Tantillus.. however, after
> seeing the way you talk to Sound, I prefer using a
> (potentially) inferior printer and slicer. I have
> read this thread (and a couple others), and it
> looks like you do have something against sound and
> you are being rude, arrogant and frankly a bitter
> troll. I suggest you learn how to speak in public
> if you don't want to be seen as a bully. And if
> Tantillus is your own product, then I think you
> have a lot to do in terms of PR because you are
> tainting your product with your bitterness.

I actually don't care what you think of me and I don't care in any way about sales. I do this because I like to do it and if never made another sale again I would be happy as it would give me more time to do the fun parts like make a great printer. Also I am glad you came here and were as honest with me as I was with Sound. Maybe you do not see it that way but it is just so. I was nice about things until he started denying that Slic3r was not up to par and then I said exactly what I thought of it. If he did not want the truth he should have stayed on IRC listening to all the praise. If you get a 3D printer and spend time helping others on the RepRap forum you will find yourself trying to help people fix issues with their hardware that are not actually hardware related. For the past few months it has been easy to help people using Slic3r by telling them to try 0.7.2b as it is the benchmark for a usable version of Slic3r. And surprise surprise most of the time someone would test using 0.7.2b after having an issue it would fix it. All I ever did was suggest to users of Tantillus was to use the ONLY stable reliable version of Slic3r since I wanted them to get good results and not be posting hundreds of "what is wrong" posts only to find out it was a Slic3r issue. With 0.7.2b you always got good reliable results. I promoted Slic3r, I helped in the forums until I gave up, I donated to it. I was a big supporter until they stopped trying and released release after release full of bugs and never stopping to get one right but rather just cram in a new feature and release it. I think this may have been a result of most of the testing being done by people running the development version which results in lots of praise and a release soon after but by then a lot of bugs had been added. Idolcrasher asked if they would do a feature freeze to prevent this but had his request shunned.

All I ever expect from anyone is actual honesty. If that is rough on people because they are used to pussy footing around the issues I am sorry but I should not be blamed for being HONEST.

P.S. Thank you for saying I am not good at PR. If I was I would go kill myself since that would mean I am full of bullshit and all I want is to be honest.


FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login