Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newbie Questions re Repetier Software

Posted by rfresh737 
Newbie Questions re Repetier Software
March 03, 2016 01:30AM
I'm about 70% of the way through building a Prusa i3 3D Printer with an acrylic stand, and wanted to ask about what software should I use to print my objects? The Ramps 1.4 controller board is pre-loaded so I think I'm set up OK with the firmware.

The website where I bought my kit from had a link to the 'Repetier' software. Is this what I use to control my 3D printer and send the .stl files to the printer with? Is this considered the 'default' 3D printer software?

Thanks for any help...!!!
Re: Newbie Questions re Repetier Software
March 06, 2016 06:21PM
There are 2 different Repetier's. There is the Repetier firmware you up load to the Arduino/RAMPS board, and there is Repetier Host. Repetier Host installs on your computer. It comes with Slic3r and Cura, both slicing programs. There is another host program for your computer called Pronterface. You will need to load your .stl file into a slicer. The slicer will generate a gcode file which is then sent to the printer, either through a USB cable or as a file on a SD card (providing you have a SD card reader on your printer). For simplicity, installing Repetier Host on your computer will get you started. After you become familier with the process you can add other slicers and hosting programs. There are advantages and disadvantages to each program, so you can experment and find what suits you.
Re: Newbie Questions re Repetier Software
March 06, 2016 09:52PM
Thank you...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login