Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CuraEngine Slicer in Repetier Host messing up the tops of my prints sad smiley

Posted by BrainSlugs83 
CuraEngine Slicer in Repetier Host messing up the tops of my prints sad smiley
March 31, 2015 12:49PM
Sorry guys, I'm a huge n00b, this might be in the wrong section, if that's the case, apologies.

So, far, of all the slicers I've tried (including slic3r), Cura is the only one to give decent results -- so, I'd like to stick with it -- unfortunately, I'm not seeing a whole lot of options in the UX, and I'm having a problem (that I hoped would be something I could just modify. -- I'm cool hand editing files if there's an .ini or .xml file on the hard drive somewhere (or if it's open source, peeking at the code and trying to fix the issue, but just thought that would be jumping the gun before checking to make sure this isn't a problem that's been solved already).

I printed out some test cubes the other day, four of them, 1 cm cubed, distributed evenly on the print bed (no fan to cool them, so letting each layer cool), and they came out really nice right up until the top most layers.

For the last few top layers, the printer, instead of printing one layer at a time, decided to extrude a bunch while pulling up (on Z-axis) and make like these massive, junky, non-flat/non-uniform globs, and then it just dragged them across the print -- then it kind of used the extruder head to mash them down... (sorry, best I can describe) -- I mean... functionally, it was kind of a "top" of sorts... but... it was really of awful quality. -- I had to kill the job before the printer ruined the prints... (so far, these are the best test cubes I've done up to this point!)

I'm hesitant to use this slicer until I know how to disable this "feature". Any guidance or help would be appreciated.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2015 01:20PM by BrainSlugs83.
Re: CuraEngine Slicer in Repetier Host messing up the tops of my prints sad smiley
April 01, 2015 04:36AM
While it sounds interesting, I can not really imagine what it did. A photo and the gcode to see what it should have printed would surely help understanding.

There is a feature called z-hopping but that would be valid for the complete print, not only the top layer.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
Re: CuraEngine Slicer in Repetier Host messing up the tops of my prints sad smiley
April 09, 2015 08:02PM
Thanks, I'll take a look and see if I can reproduce it -- if I can, I'll get you a copy of the gcodes it produced, (sorry for the late response, I have been busy recently).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login