Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Did Repetier-Host went closed source?

Posted by sam0737 
Re: Did Repetier-Host went closed source?
May 23, 2014 03:54PM
As an ignorant bystander, I am curious how moving to closed-source but still giving away software is beneficial to Repetier. Wouldn't it be better to charge a small fee for the binary and keep the application open source? As vreihen mentioned, most users only care about the binary and, at least in my case, wouldn't be able to compile the source regardless.
June 05, 2014 02:11AM
Hmm, what is the fate of the macintosh version of the host? I noticed it has not be updated in a very long time. closing the source seems to close the mac door as well.
June 05, 2014 02:53AM
No, mac will be developed further, but has a lower priority then windows host.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
June 19, 2014 01:20PM
For the time being I am still working on my printer using Repetier host and Repetier FW. I'm very happy with the support I've been getting on this forum with the firmware, and I will probably have a few more questions before everything is configured correctly. I'm more interested in seeing the source for the printer firmware side of things than in the host (so long as the communication protocol is well documented, which is is.) I see no reason to jump ship over the closed source issue with the host, (but I hope that Repetier will be receptive to any bug reports from users of the free download). I'd still recommend the host software to anybody that was starting out building their own printer unless their interests lie in developing the software side of the project. Right now I'm buried up to my nose in the hardware!
October 28, 2014 11:47PM
Repetier-* are not enterprise appllication, dual license will not help. The plugin architect will be great for repetier, the user, and third-party developer.
November 20, 2014 03:31AM
I noticed that Repetier-Host is bundling with both Slic3r and CuraEngined and using this software for the slicing.
All though I can understand that you make your software closed source, to me it doesn't seem fair that you use these open source projects to improve your product.
Besides this, I strongly wonder if the AGPL license permits this. I would assume that this is consider dynamic linking and consequently it would require a compatible license for the Repetier-Host software.

Kind regards,
Marwijn.
November 20, 2014 04:08AM
No, it is not dynamic linking. We do the same as windows does - we call the executable and wait for the executable to finish. That is the one allowed exception that not virally requires new license for the caller.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
January 05, 2015 05:05PM
I've alway been amazed at the level of support provided by Repetier to users and developers. The response time for issues is very quick in my experience. I hope the changes are effective in keeping Repetier software on a solid footing.

I can absolutely see why the software went closed source. If this were a hobby level effort with one dev spending < 20 hr per week or a large group effort with each individual spending similar time then it makes sense to keep it open source. Under the same conditions, I would have either gone closed source or drastically limited my time on the project. For practical considerations I think an open source project is more for spare-time developers than for full time developers. From the beginning though I have been impressed with the quality and polish of the software. Repetier never looked like hobby level software.

Happy new year and good luck!

Bryan
January 06, 2015 03:33AM
bryanandaimee
I've alway been amazed at the level of support provided by Repetier to users and developers. The response time for issues is very quick in my experience. I hope the changes are effective in keeping Repetier software on a solid footing.

I can absolutely see why the software went closed source. If this were a hobby level effort with one dev spending < 20 hr per week or a large group effort with each individual spending similar time then it makes sense to keep it open source. Under the same conditions, I would have either gone closed source or drastically limited my time on the project. For practical considerations I think an open source project is more for spare-time developers than for full time developers. From the beginning though I have been impressed with the quality and polish of the software. Repetier never looked like hobby level software.

Happy new year and good luck!

Bryan

I Couldn't agree more

Doug
January 11, 2015 02:51PM
i really like my repetier host.. Never had any luck getting the firmware to do what i wanted so i went with a modified version of marlin on my machines..I like the way you are doing the custom host and tech support for manufacturers like me.. Well worth the little bit of money it costs..i think it was a good move..Now if i can just get the key board jogging control add on to work so i can use it with my wireless keyboard
October 07, 2015 03:55PM
GPL issue with Wanhao firmware and Teacup / Marlin ?

[forums.reprap.org]

--Jeff Keegan (Just Another RepRap blog)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login