Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printer delays execution of commands

Posted by itaysp 
Printer delays execution of commands
January 01, 2014 10:20AM
Hi,
Just upgraded to the new firmware 0.91 and I'm using Repetier Host 0.95D.
Since I changed the new firmware I'm having a problem that I'm sending a command like "Extrude" 2-3 times, and then the printer not executing it. I can see on my LCD that the buffer size is raising so I think that the printer do get the command.
The delay can be for a few seconds of a few minutes. Something the buffer number is decreasing but no command was executed with this decrease.

I tried to disconnect the LCD (I started using this LCD since this firmware because of the support you added to a graphic LCD) but it didn't change anything.

Thanks for your help!
Itay
Re: Printer delays execution of commands
January 05, 2014 01:13AM
I have this same problem (only when using extrude in manual control) with the both the .95 and .90 host, and the .90 development firmware. Hardware is a RUMBA board in a delta configuration. I don't have an LCD, so i can't see the buffer fill up, but if there's anything i can output as a diagnostic, i'll get that.
January 05, 2014 03:33AM
The combination of Graphic LCD and delta is a bit dangerous on the ram size. Both options need some extra memory, so total memory is very low in total. And if the stack goes below free memory bad things can happen. When you connect you see the free memory in the log window. Make sure it is at least 800 bytes. If not reduce move buffer size by 1, that should suffice. I do not know how much free ram is needed but I know it is somewhere > 600 byte and depends a bit on the functions you are using.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
January 08, 2014 08:34PM
I don't have the LCD (it's disabled in config), and I'm getting

Sketch uses 66,882 bytes (25%) of program storage space. Maximum is 258,048 bytes.
Global variables use 5,860 bytes (71%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,332 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8,192 bytes.
after compiling and writing. I also moved to version 0.91 firmware.

I tried a simple script:
G1 E100
G4 S1
G1 E0
which only works if E100 is between -100 and 100 (on line 2). It's very strange. EXT0_STEPS_PER_MM is 173 (microsteps?), and i'm using 1/32 microstepping. Itaysp, I don't know your configuration, but are you having similar issues?
January 09, 2014 02:48AM
Hey,
I need to check, I didn't try more than E50 each time, but after few times it's getting delayed / not executing.
I'm using DRV8825 drivers that can do 1/32 microstepping, but i'm using them with 1/16.
January 09, 2014 10:45AM
In 0.91 you have a parameter
EXTRUDE_MAXLENGTH

you can not make extrusions larger then that value in one move. So if only moves between -100/100 are possible you have set this to 100. The idea is to prevent long unintentional moves because you e.g. killed a job and E is at a random high value. Then sending G1 E0 could move extrusion back a few meter.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
January 09, 2014 06:46PM
Well, EXTRUDE_MAXLENGTH solves the mystery of the conspicuously round number. But I’m not sure how to try quantifying the problem. Usually I get it just by hitting extrude and retract a bunch in manual control. I don't have the same issue with the XYZ moves (although when the extruder stops responding to commands, so does everything else - it sort of queues up the commands).

I’ve got the DRV8825s as well, but if you’re using 1/16th stepping, I don’t know how that would be an issue.
January 10, 2014 02:47AM
It is not the stepper driver. It has no influence on the firmware crashing. Only if it never reacts you might need to extend signal length, but this is not the case.

I will try and see if I can reproduce the problem with extruder up/down/up/down like you said.

January 12, 2014 04:23PM
I don't have much time playing with my printer, it's the end of the semester now..

I checked my free RAM - I have 1035.

Extrude-Retract-Extrude-Retract makes the delay/unexecute for me too.
January 12, 2014 04:25PM
It was a firmware bug that caused delta printer to handle pure e moves wrong. Github is already fixed, online tool will follow soon in rev 4.

January 12, 2014 05:14PM
Thank You!
January 13, 2014 08:33PM
Completely fixed.

Thanks!
January 14, 2014 05:39AM
Hey,
Now with Rev4 the printer stops while printing at some places for a microsecond and then continues.
I'm printing with the graphic LCD only (no computer), could it be the reason? It happened too on Rev1, but now it happens more often.

I have 1023 free ram with Rev4

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2014 05:48AM by itaysp.
January 14, 2014 06:45AM
While graphic LCD looks fine, it is a pain for the AVR. One screen update takes around 0.1 seconds. In this 0.1 seconds no new lines get inserted into the buffers and if you have many short lines your buffer may run empty. Printing with 80mm/s means 8mm get printed while screen updates!

I think I will add a update of print buffer in the lcd update. That should reduce the problem somewhat. But LCD update will still eat around 15% cpu power. It will only strtch update time for a more continuous buffer filling.

January 14, 2014 06:53AM
I tried to reduce the buffer (from 2 to 1) and it didn't help.
I noticed that playing with the menus while printing makes the printer stop for a second..

Switching to a non-graphic LCD will solve my problems? Or I can't print with an LCD at all? I need to config my octopi..
January 14, 2014 07:45AM
Not sure what buffer you reduced. If it is the command buffer reducing it will be no good idea. What helps is increasing buffer size but having a delta means you are already at the limit.

Switching through menus forces lcd updates and can easily eat up 100% cpu power, so you better do not do that during a print.

The character lcds are much faster and you will not notice them even when going through menus it will print normally. I think the speed difference is 20-100 times between the two types.

January 14, 2014 08:18AM
Ok, Thank you!
I just ordered 4 row character LCD from eBay.. I will try to sell my graphic LCD.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login