Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can't turn on extruder heater

Posted by CuttableSoup 
Can't turn on extruder heater
December 03, 2013 12:37AM
I know this is a common problem, and there are plenty of resources already out there, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what's wrong. The extruder resistor is plugged into the right pins, I've checked for any breaks in the wire, or if the resistor has burnt out. That's all fine. The heat manager is enabled, and when I turn it on, Repetier is telling me it's being fed power, but when checked with a multimeter, there is of course no voltage. It gives me no errors when starting up or turning on the heater. I had the heater working earlier. I even tuned the PID manager, but after I calibrated the axes, it just didn't want to turn on. The thermistor also function correctly. My setup is as follows:

Mendel Prusa + printrboard
Repetier firmware + Repetier host
Windows 7

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2013 12:38AM by CuttableSoup.
Re: Can't turn on extruder heater
December 03, 2013 08:17PM
After examining the back of my printrboard, I found that the circuit from the power to the extruder heater/hotbed has been physically burned and disconnected from the power. I've attached a picture of the damage. Would it be possible to fix this, or do I need to get a new board?
Attachments:
open | download - 2013-12-03 19.06.33.jpg (294.1 KB)
Re: Can't turn on extruder heater
December 04, 2013 12:23AM
Hate for this thread to start and end with just me posting the solutions I've found to my own problems, but here it is. The printrboard I have was originally ordered from geeetech: [www.geeetech.com]

This board is flawed in that the trace wire running from the power supply to the hotend/hotbed is not large enough to carry the current required for both at the same time. This is why it ran my hotend earlier burned out later when I turned both on. Other people have had the same troubles.

One of the reviews in the link above details the same problem.

The review: "Purchased 4 of these and already burnt 3 because the trace wire from the supply to the hotend/hotbed couldn't handle the current. Read the wiki page and saw that it can only handle up to 120W (10amps). This is way too small since 3d printers with a heated bed platform needs at least 20 - 30 amps. I have jumped the wires to fix the problem but this isn't safe and a big fire hazard. Everything works fine except the trace wire being undersized. I would purchase more boards only if this problem is fixed." - Christopher Lau

Here is another thread about the same problem:
[groups.google.com]

I've attached a picture of what I did to fix the problem. I put a wire between the + terminal on the ATX power connector and the + terminal on the hotend connector. It replaces the small wire trace. This seems to have fixed the problem, though it is not safe in the least. As far as I know, this is only a problem with the printrboards supplied from geeetech.com. Strangely enough, the board is labeled "geeeteck.com" on the back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2013 12:25AM by CuttableSoup.
Attachments:
open | download - CAM00122.jpg (321.1 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login