Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printer becomes unresponsive when I initialize a print

Posted by cjkmiec 
Printer becomes unresponsive when I initialize a print
October 04, 2015 10:39PM
New problem that I have not been able to troubleshoot. I can start the printer with Repetier, home the printer, and heat the extruder. As soon as I hit print, the temp locks in at it's current temp and the print will not start. If I stop the print, I am still unable to change the temp, and no longer able move the printhead at all, printer becomes totally unresponsive. Repetier still says it is connected to the printer, but there is no communication between the printer and the computer. Only way to 'unfreeze it" is to restart the printer.

Any ideas?
Re: Printer becomes unresponsive when I initialize a print
October 05, 2015 02:24AM
Some commands block the printer communication for a while. These are normally at the start of your gcode for heating up extruder and bed. These only return when target temperature is within some bounds for a time set in firmware. These are M109 and M190. Until then no more communication occurs.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
October 05, 2015 03:06AM
Repetier:
If you moved these temperature blocking checks to Host coding it would never be a problem and blocked printing could easily be cancelled.
FW would still be the same and needs no changes for this improvement. thumbs up
October 05, 2015 08:48AM
On the other side if firmware changes temp. response it does suddenly not work any more and you loose all settings for temperature handling like how long you want to be inside a corridor.

I see this would be nice to improve speed of response everywhere, but it is by no means an error but defined behavior.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
October 05, 2015 01:51PM
I am not sure I understand what you mean by "if firmware changes temp. response" but of course some behaveour may limit what you may obtain, but would it be worse than current solution?
The basic limit for response is display update but some effort could easily be made to change this. my private installation has been trimmed down to some few percent but that may of course vary.
October 05, 2015 02:03PM
I mean if response to M105 changes format (again) it may be unparsable for a host version and then it can not control if temp. is reached. That hopefully never happens, but I have no influence on firmware developers and what they do. And the host would ignore things like stabilize time and temp. corridor which you could set in firmware. I personally set these always to 1s so no problem for me, but you never know. Everytime I make a change I get complains that the old behavior was better. If I allow both I get complains about being complicated. Such things always have two sides and it is hard to decide what is better in the end.

October 05, 2015 08:03PM
Of course if it was selectable Host/FW control it would remove the risk if changes would interfere (which i doubt would happen, as it has no meaning), this would be the perfect solution and not add severe complexity to UI, I think.
But it would add a huge benefit to Repetier Host :-) as situations like cjkmiec above reported, happens quite often..
October 05, 2015 08:30PM
My problem was thought that the temp would essentially lock the temp and not change until i was forced to shut down the printer. A M502 and M500 fixed the problem though, must have been a EEPROM setting, thanks.
October 06, 2015 02:42AM
Sorry Cjkmiec, we almost forgot it was your problem to be solved.
This problem is builtin to any printer using marlin/Repetier Fw or similar, because if you start a print with a wrong not obtainable temperature, the printer will be locked endless, because conditions will never be met or may take a very long time to get.
Only solution would normally be a reset or power down, which is not very elegant and that was why I hijacked your question to remember Repetier that this can still be solved by letting host do the temperature surveiilance so the Host program can be cancelled at any time by intervenience which is not possible when FW has this control.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login